2020 It’s Great to be A Teacher Event
The Teacher Education Coordinating Committee (TECC) is holding its annual It’s Great to be A Teacher event at Leeward Community College on January 25, 2020 from 9 am to 1 pm. A one-stop opportunity for anyone interested in becoming a teacher in Hawai‘i, the event will feature the many different teacher preparation programs and organizations available to help future educators along their journey.
The College of Education at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa together with co-organizers, the Hawai‘i State Department of Education (HIDOE) and Leeward Community College (LCC), will bring together employers, supporting organizations, and programs from around the state who will answer questions and share information to help those who are interested in getting started with their teaching career. This fifth annual It’s Great to be A Teacher event will also feature locally recognized teachers and leaders in education who will share their insights and experiences to inspire the next generation of Hawai‘i’s educators.
The event will be held on Saturday, January 25, 2020, from 9 am to 1 pm at the Leeward Community College Education Building, 96-045 Ala Ike, Pearl City, HI 96782. Registration is FREE at bit.ly/IGTBAT2020 (refreshments included).
Among the special guests at the event will be:
• Cecilia 'CC' Chung, 2020 Hawai‘i State Teacher of the Year;
• Derek Minakami, 2001 Hawaiʻi State Teacher of the Year and the first public school National Board certified teacher in Hawai‘i, currently serving as Kaneohe Elementary School principal;
• Zachary Morita, 2018 Winner of the $100,000 Farmers’ Insurance Thank America’s Teachers Dream Big Teacher Challenge;
• Ululani Russo, 2020 Nānakuli-Wai‘anae Complex Area Teacher of the Year.
The target audience for this event includes:
• Substitute teachers thinking of going full-time;
• Educational Assistants (EA’s);
• College students thinking about choosing their major (or minor);
• High school students getting ready for college;
• Mid-career changers;
• Those with a passion for education!
• Learn about the different pathways to becoming a teacher;
• Discover different program options to suit their schedule;
• Find out about scholarships and other funding opportunities;
• get their questions answered about being employed as a teacher, including salary ladders;
• Listen to a panel of experienced educators share their candid insights; and
• Enjoy some pupu’s and talk-story with members of the education community.
Education as a career is open to all who are eager to inspire others and let themselves be inspired. Many have the desire and potential to be the teachers that our children and youth need, but the challenge is sometimes just knowing where to start and who to talk to. This event seeks to be that starting point.
Nezia Azmi, Event Coordinator
Teacher Education Coordinating Committee (TECC)
firstname.lastname@example.org, (808) 956-4280