APPLICATION DEADLINES FOR ADMISSION
|SEMESTER||GENERAL ADMISSION||INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS ADMISSION|
|Summer||February 15||February 15|
After these dates, inquire regarding space availablity here.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution (any field)
- Grade point average: 3.0 or above
- 3 years of P-20 (early childhood education through university) teaching experience by program start date
- Access to groups of students needed to complete some applied projects
- Access to a computer, Office productivity suite software (i.e. MS Office, LibreOffice), printer, and an Internet connection are required (note: it is strongly recommended that the above resources are available in the student’s home or at a location that has consistent/adequate internet service and is free from distractions)
Enrollment is competitive, so minimum requirements do not guarantee acceptance.
GRANTS & SCHOLARSHIP RESOURCES
UHM FINANCIAL AID SERVICES:
Please refer to the following links for UHM financial aid services general information, as well as a list of scholarships, local scholarships, national scholarships, and other options.
LOCAL & NATIONAL SCHOLARSHIPS:
- Hawai‘i Community Foundation
- Hawai‘i Education Association
- Office of Hawaiian Affairs
- Kamehameha Schools
Candidates taking the Ethnomathematics course sequence as part of the MEd in Curriculum Studies may be eligible to apply for departmental stipends, based on available funds.
FEDERAL TEACHER LOAN FORGIVENESS:
Teachers at Title I schools may qualify for between $5,000-$17,500 loan forgiveness. Please refer to Federal Student Aid Teacher Loan Forgiveness.
These costs are approximate, and subject to change. Please visit the Outreach tuition and fees page for Summer tuition rates, and the Financial Aid tuition chart for Fall and Spring tuition rates.
- Housing Costs: on O‘ahu
- Housing Costs: Associated with neighbor island Learning Journeys
- Learning Journeys Inter-island Airfare Costs
*The program offers students travel stipends to assist with costs associated with Learning Journeys. The amount of the travel stipend is based on individual student's geographical location and situation (note: students who are UH employees using tuition waivers cannot receive stipends).
STEPS TO APPLY
Please visit the Mākālei system website to apply.
If you have a UH Username, please select, "UH username and password". If you do not have a UH Username, please select, "Guest" and that will lead you to the steps to create a Mākālei account.
Once you are logged into Mākālei and have reached the, "Select a Degree and Program" section, in order to apply for the STEMS² Cohort, select "Master's Degree" as the degree you are applying for, "MEd Curriculum Studies (Summer/Hybrid)" as your program and, "Ethnomathematics" as your emphasis.
Applications to College of Education Programs will be submitted through Mākālei
1. Submit to Office of Graduate Education (OGE)
- A new UH Graduate Application.
- 1. Select the “Graduate Studies - Summer” application type.
- 2. On Question #7, choose “Curriculum Studies (Ethnomathematics)-Graduate Certificate**” as your Planned Course of Study.
- Official Transcripts from each institution attended (except for UH system transcripts)
- Graduate Division Residency Declaration Form (Hawai‘i residents only)
- TOEFL or IELTS Scores (International Students only)
- International Student Financial Form (International Students only)
2. Submit to Curriculum Studies
- Three letters of recommendation
- If mailed or faxed must be on Letterhead and signed.
- Submitted electronically (preferred)
- A statement of objectives
- A copy of your CV (resume)
- If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 808-956- 2376.
CONCURRENT WITH MEd:
The Ethnomathematics Graduate Certificate (GCERT) may be taken at the same time as the MEd Curriculum Studies, MEd Math Education, or MEd STEMS2. If interested in receiving the graduate certificate and master’s degree, please see program requirements and application procedures for those programs.
Applicants desiring the MEd, in addition to the Ethnomathematics GCERT, must download and print a separate application for the MEd. To enroll in the GCERT and MEd, applicants must also submit a Concurrent Graduate Certificate Program Application Form.