APPLICATION DEADLINES FOR ADMISSION
|Fall||February 1 (priority
March 1 (final)
To be considered for admission, all materials must be received (not postmarked) by March 1.
Undergraduate Degree Requirements
Applicants must have:
- An undergraduate degree awarded by an accredited college or university in a field other than education.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 (GPAs of at least 2.7 will be considered only after those who meet the minimum requirement)
Prior teaching experience is not required.
Pre-requisite Course (MEdT Dual Secondary/SPED only)
- B or better in SPED 304 (may be taken in summer after application has been submitted)
STEPS TO APPLY
In order to be considered for Fall admission, application materials (items 1 - 4) must be received (not postmarked) by March 1. Complete applications contain the five following items:
- College of Education Licensure Track Application - Mākālei
- UH Graduate System Application Form (including transcripts and all supporting documents)
- Content Knowledge Requirement
- Content Coursework Inventory Worksheet
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation
1a. College of Education Licensure Track Application - Mākālei
- Use your UH username and password or register for guest access by clicking the "Guest" button.
- To activate your guest account, check the email account you registered for an email from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Check your spam folder before emailing email@example.com for assistance logging on.
Select a Degree and Program
- Degree: Select Master's Degree
- Select Master of Education in Teaching (MEdT) (Online/Hybrid) if you intend to complete the program on any island attending online/hybrid classes. Dual Secondary/SPED applicants must pick this option.
- Major: Select the subject you want to be licensed to teach. Elementary is not available for the Dual Secondary/SPED program.
- Select if you are applying for the Hawaiian Language Immersion or Special Education Dual Option:
- Select Hawaiian Language Immersion if you are fluent in Hawaiian and want to be licensed to teach at an Immersion School.
- Select Special Education (Mild/Moderate) if you want to join the Dual Secondary/SPED program.
Licensure Track Admission Checklist
The checklist guides you through the submission of the required items listed below. There is also a Personal Statement/Essay section that contains four prompts, one of which is your statement of objectives. If you want to be licensed in Hawaiian Language or Hawaiian Language Immersion, you must write your responses in Hawaiian.
Submit Licensure Track Application
You will need to select the semester you intend to start (Fall 2018), input your Social Security Number, and verify your application information before the submit button will appear. A checkmark will appear above "Submit Licensure Track Application" and you will be taken to the Check Application Status page once your application has been submitted successfully.
1b. UH Graduate School System Application Form
Complete the online application and pay the $100 application fee at http://apply.hawaii.edu. Visit the Graduate Division Website for complete instructions: https://manoa.hawaii.edu/graduate/content/documentation-requirements. Original, unopened transcripts are required from all institutions listed in your application except UH System campuses.
All UH Graduate School System Application documents including transcripts should be sent to:
Office of Graduate Education
2540 Maile Way, Spalding 354
Honolulu, HI 96822
- Write down your login ID and PIN (6 numbers). You will not be able to recover them if you can't remember them.
- Institution = University of Hawaii at Manoa
- Site = UH Manoa Main Campus
- Citizenship Related Data: Can be skipped if you are a US Citizen
- Planned Course of Study= Teaching - MEdT (no Spring Admission); Select "No" about pursuing a dual degree.
- International Students have additional requirements. See the OGE website for more information: https://manoa.hawaii.edu/graduate/content/admissions-requirements
2. Content Knowledge Requirement
Secondary Education (gr. 6 - 12) applicants may choose to verify their content knowledge through one of the following:
- Passing sccore on the licensure test adopted by the Board in the content field (see https://hawaiiteacherstandardsboard.org/content/licensure-test-categories/); or
- National Board for Professional Teaching Standards certification in the content field; or
- Content major consisting of a minimum of thirty semester hours in the content field for a bachelor's degree awarded by an accredited institution of higher education; or
- A minimum of thirty semester hours in the content field from an accredited institution of higher education, at least fifteen of which must be upper division level; or
- A master's, specialist, or doctoral degree in the license field awarded by an accredited institution of higher education.
We will consider applicants who have not passed Praxis. First consideration will be given to those with complete applications and if space permits, we will consider those who are missing test scores. To accomodate those with extenuating circumstances, the latest date scores will be accepted for admission is August 1.
Send official scores to: University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa, Institution Code: R4867
Examinee score reports or reports originally sent to other institutions will not be accepted.
- Candidates seeking a teaching license in Hawai‘i should submit their scores to the Hawaii Teacher Standards Board.
- Save a copy of your scores for your own records. They are available for a limited time from the ETS website.
- Scores submitted to UH cannot be returned to you or forwarded to another organization.
3. Content Coursework Inventory Worksheet
A Content Coursework Inventory Worksheet is required for all applicants interested in teaching at the Secondary level (grades 6-12).
- Art: http://tiny.cc/inventory-art
- English: http://tiny.cc/inventory-english
- Hawaiian Language: http://tiny.cc/inventory-hawaiian
- Mathematics: http://tiny.cc/inventory-mathematics
- Science: http://tiny.cc/inventory-science
- Social Studies: http://tiny.cc/inventory-socialstudies
Further instructions are included on the Google Spreadsheet. For additional help, refer to our sample worksheet: http://tiny.cc/inventory-sample.
4. Three Letters of Recommendation
Please download our letter of recommendation guidelines. This document is updated annually and should be shared with your references. Mākālei will facilitate the submission of your letters of recommendation, but you are ultimately responsible for submitting them by the March 1 deadline. The most common reasons references are not receiving the system generated email are: 1) email delivery to spam folder, 2) mistyped email addresses.
5. Admission Interview
Admission interviews will be held on Saturday, February 23, 2019 (priority deadline) and Saturday, March 15, 2019 (final deadline). All applicants must attend a half-day interview on one of these dates in-person or online. A confirmation email containing an interview schedule will be sent to applicants with complete applications. Please ensure that you are reachable by the emails entered in both application forms.
Application Status & Admission Decisions
We appreciate your checking our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page http://tiny.cc/medt-faq before contacting us with questions.
All questions about the UH System Application should be directed to Graduate Division at 808.956.8544 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Once you have submitted your Mākālei application, you chan check the status by logging back in to Mākālei.
The application process is competitive and space is limited. Admission decisions will be maied by US Postal Service to the address provided on the UH Graduate School System Application in mid-late May. It is your responsibility to keep your contact information up to date with the Office of Graduate Education and the Office of Student Academic Services to ensure timely notification.