APPLICATION DEADLINES FOR ADMISSION
To be considered for admission, all materials must be received (not postmarked) by March 1.
Undergraduate Degree Requirements
Applicants must have:
- An undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university in a field other than education.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 (GPAs of at least 2.7 will be considered only after those who meet the minimum requirement)
Prior teaching experience is not required.
Basic Skills Requirement
Applicants must meet the Hawai‘i Teacher Standards Boardʻs basic skills requirement by having one of the following:
- Bachelorʻs degree awarded by a regionally accredited institution of higher education
- Passing scores on basic skills licensure test adopted by the HTSB in Reading, Writing and Mathematics
- Qualifying scores on SAT Reading and Mathematics and passing score on Praxis Basic Skills for Writing
- Qualifying scores on ACT Reading and Mathematics sections and passing score on the Praxis Basic Skills.
See HTSB Website for more information.
Pre-requisite Course (MEdT Dual Secondary/SPED only)
- B or better in SPED 304 (may be taken in summer after application has been submitted)
Content Knowledge Requirement
Applicants must pass the Praxis II (Content Knowledge) tests prior to applying to a COE Licensure Track program. Official Praxis II score reports must be sent to the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa and the Hawai‘i Teacher Standards Board.
It is also recommended that secondary applicants have thirty semester hours in the content field from an accredited college or university (at least fifteen of which must be upper division level), or an equivalent.
Three Letters of Recommendation
Please download our letter of recommendation guidelines. This document is updated anually and should be shared with your references.
Admission interviews will be scheduled in the first week of April for individuals with complete applications who meet the minimum qualifications. In mid-March, the program will send details to qualified applicants using the email address provided on the application form. Interviews will be conducted by phone or online for applicants who do not reside on Oahu. Please ensure that you are reachable by the emails entered in both application forms.
STEPS TO APPLY
Please read our Fall 2016 Admission Packet carefully before applying.
We appreciate your checking our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page http://tiny.cc/medt-faq before contacting us with questions.
All questions about the Graduate Admissions Application should be directed to Graduate Division at 808.956.8544 or email@example.com.