Financial Assistance

Printer-friendly version

Graduate Assistantships

The Graduate Division allocates a limited number of graduate assistantships to graduate fields of study including the College of Education. The graduate assistantship is a non-tenurable half-time (.5FTE) academic appointment in which an eligible graduate student contributes an average of twenty hours per week of research or teaching assistance to the faculty while carrying an academic courseload of at least six degree-related credits (full-time student status for graduate assistance). There are two types of assistantship appointments:

  • Teaching assistantships are nine months, with service starting one week prior to registration through commencement.
  • Research assistantships are eleven months. For both teaching and research appointments, the tuition is waived according to the percentage of time employed.

However, the appointees are responsible for their own activity/laboratory fees. A list of available graduate assistantships is available online.

General Scholarships

The College of Education offers a limited number of scholarships to qualified doctoral students. The Graduate Division offers Pacific-Asian Scholarships that are awarded to highly-qualified full-time degree seeking graduate students whose presence advances the University's leadership role in bridging the East and West. These scholarships are available to students from Asia, the Pacific, other focus areas. Full-time graduate students with a 3.5 GPA or higher are eligible to apply through their graduate field of study. The full award covers full tuition costs with the student being responsible for activity/laboratory fees.

For information contact: Graduate Fellowships Office

The Peter and Patricia A. Dunn-Rankin Scholarship for Research in Educational Psychology

The PhD Program in Educational Psychology offers the Peter and Patricia A. Dunn-Rankin Scholarship for Research in Educational Psychology.

For information, contact: Department of Educational Psychology

Achievement Scholarships (aka Tuition waiver)

Degree-seeking graduate students in good academic standing are eligible to apply through their graduate field of study. A full tuition waiver covers full tuition costs; the student is responsible for activity/laboratory fees. The tuition waiver is normally on an academic year basis and may be renewed subject to continued eligibility.

For more information contact: Graduate Fellowships Office

Travel Funding to Present Scholarly Papers

The College of Education provides funding up to $500.00 to support graduate students travelling to national and international conferences to present scholarly research. Funding is awarded on a competitive basis with priority placed on national and international conferences followed by local conferences.

Applications should be submitted to:

Dean of Academic Affairs
COE Dean's Office
1776 University Ave, Everly Rm 128
Honolulu HI 96818
Application Form

Application deadlines:

Fall Semester Travel Spring Semester Travel Summer Travel
September 1 February 1 Notifications will be considered in September (post-conference)

Applicants are encouraged to submit their applications as soon as they are notified of their acceptance.

Students may also apply for funding through the UHM Graduate Student Organization (GSO) which awards grants up to $750.00 each for travel expenses three times a year in spring, summer, and fall terms.