Health & Physical Education, PBCSE
Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Secondary Education - Emphasis in Health and/or Physical Education
Apply Now Instructions
|Spring Start Deadline||Fall Start Deadline|
|Priority (General)||September 1||February 1|
|Regular (General)||October 1||March 1|
|International Students||September 1||January 5|
Grade Point Average
A minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 is required from all post-secondary institutions attended. Applicants who do not meet the GPA criterion to the College should consult with an academic advisor as soon as possible.
40 Hours of Documented Group Leadership Experience
Prior to applying, applicants must complete 40 hours of paid or voluntary group leadership field experience with the appropriate age group according to their major. Health and Physical Education B.S. majors may work with K-12 grade aged students. The experience must be primarily physical activity-related.
The experience must have been completed after high school and cannot have occurred more than 5 years prior to acceptance to a COE Licensure Track program.
See the Group Leadership Form used to document your group leadership experience
Verification of Content Knowledge
Candidates can choose to pursue the following certifications: (a) health, (b) physical education, or (c) health and physical education.
Candidates who have already met the content knowledge requirement would have a reduced courseload (34 credits) while pursuing the program. However, candidates may take additional credits within the program to meet the content knowledge requirement.
Content knowledge may be verified by one of the following options:
- Passing score on licensure test adopted by the Hawai‘i Teacher Standards Board (HTSB) in the content field
- National Board for Professional Teaching Standards certification in the content field
- Content major consisting of a minimum of thirty semester hours in the content field for a bachelor’s degree awarded by an accredited institution of higher education
- A minimum of thirty semester hours in the content field from an accredited institution of higher education, at least fifteen of which must be upper division level
- A master’s, specialist or doctoral degree in the license field awarded by an accredited institution of higher education
Applicants who choose to use a licensure test to demonstrate content knowledge, please see the HTSB for current passing scores. For registration information, please
- visit the ETS website OR
- contact the UHM Testing Office (808-956-3454) OR
- contact Prometric in Honolulu or Hilo (808-853-6773)
Complete an Admissions Interview
All students applying for any of the COE Licensure Track programs must participate in an admission interview with faculty from their prospective department. Only applicants who have successfully completed all admission requirements will be able to schedule a Personal Admissions Interview.
Applicants must contact the program coordinator for Health & Physical Education to schedule their interview.
Dr. Erin Centeio, email@example.com
Kinesiology & Rehabilitation Science
PE Athletic Complex Room 227
Apply Now Through Makalei