The U.S. Congress established federal tax credits for qualified college tuition and related expenses under the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 and the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) of 2009. All students (except for nonresident alien students) who have paid tuition and other related fees or received a scholarship or grant during the year will receive a Form 1098-T Tuition Statement on your MyUH Portal or via email with the subject line “Important Tax Return Document Available”. Please consult with a professional tax advisor to see if you are eligible for the following tax benefits.

A nonresident alien student generally cannot claim tax credits however a resident alien student may be eligible for the following benefits. The Form 1098-T Tuition Statement will still be provided to nonresident alien students if their Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITTIN) is on file with the Office of the Registrar.  

See IRS Publication 970 for more information. Further information for nonresident alien students may be found in IRS Publication 4152.