Grow Our Own Teachers Initiative

Printer-friendly version

Scholarship stipends may be available to qualified applicants*

Available Online/Statewide 

Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Secondary Education (PBCSE) for HIDOE employees who serve at a secondary school.



  • Partnership between HIDOE & UHM COE
  • Opportunity to qualify for scholarship stipends in areas of need
  • Courses delivered in an online/hybrid format
  • Summer coursework may be required
  • Field experience and teaching residency in HIDOE or Hawai‘i Public Charter Schools
  • Begin January 2019 & graduate in May 2020



  1. Apply by October 1
    Hawai‘i residents working as HIDOE employees who hold a bachelor’s degree and demonstrate content knowledge.
  2. To be Eligible for Funding
    You are must be a HIDOE emergency hire teacher, a substitute teacher or an educational assistant not in a state approved teacher education program.
    *Stipends cover the cost of tuition and fees up to 33 credits; program courses previously taken are not covered.
  3. Successfully Complete
    All requirements, field experience and teaching residency.
  4. Earn Teaching License
    Gain teacher licensure through the Hawai‘i Teacher Standards Board (HTSB).
  5. Continue Teaching
    Commit to 3 years of full time teaching (grades 6-12) in HIDOE or Hawai‘i Public Charter Schools.



For information, contact the Office of Student Academic Services:

O‘ahu Inquiries:
(808) 956-7915
For appointments:

Neighbor Island Inquiries
(808) 209-8031
For appointments:

For questions about courses and scheduling contact:

Charlotte Frambaugh-Kritzer
(808) 956-4241

For more information about qualifications for scholarships and stipends contact:

Kimberly Hong-Kobayashi
(808) 441-8498


How to Apply:

  1. Submit a UH Mānoa System Application.
    There is a $70 non-refundable application fee
  2. Submit a College of Education (COE) Application.
  3. Letter of Recommendation
    A letter of recommendation from your school administrator is required (refer to the COE application).
  4. Content Knowledge
    Applicants must demonstrate knowledge in their teaching field. Content knowledge may be verified by one of the following options:
    • Passing score on licensure test adopted by the HTSB in the content field* (refer to: for a list of the approved tests); or
    • National Board for Professional Teaching Standards certification in the content field; or
    • Content major consisting of a minimum of thirty semester hours in the content field for a bachelor's degree awarded by an accredited institution of higher education; or
    • A minimum of thirty semester hours in the content field from an accredited institution of higher education, at least fifteen of which must be upper division level; or
    • A master's, specialist or doctoral degree in the license field awarded by an accredited institution of higher education.
      *For test registration information: There is a fee to take the Praxis Content Knowledge test.
  5. GPA
    Minimum cumulative and content major grade point averages (GPA) of 2.75 (2.50 for applicants pursuing mathematics, science, and physical education content areas) from all post-secondary institutions attended.
  6. Interview with Program
    Interview is required (refer to the COE application for more information).