The community partners were selected due to previous unit collaborations and connections to Pearl City High School. Malama Pu’uloa has been part of the community advisor group for Pearl City Natural Resources for the last few years. Ko’olau Mountain Watershed Partnership is right down the road of Pearl City High School and has assisted in watershed education in the past. The school campus sits in the Manana watershed that is supported by Ko’olau and the campus overlooks Pu’uloa (Pearl Harbor). Both community partners have assisted in watershed units in the past. For schools outside the Pu’uloa area other community partners may include your local Watershed Partnership organization.
How can connecting high school students to their communities heal Pu’uloa and the watersheds around Pearl City through advocacy and action?
- Students understand that native ecosystems are in a balance and human actions can upset that balance.
- Students understand the purpose of a watershed and the importance of maintaining a healthy watershed for the health of the environment and the community.
- Student actions, projects, and advocacy can help repair the environment and community.
- Unit Where once there was life, now is silent
- Watershed Project Proposal Example Form
- Uncle Shad Kane Essay PDF
- STEMS2 Unit Project Descriptions and Rubric Examples
- Quadrats Field Data Sheet Example
- Project Planner Template Example PDF
- Primary Urban Center Community Meeting Presentation- PDF
- Oahu Watershed Map Board of Water
- Oahu Map KS
- Malama Learning Center Ki;o Vision
- How Healthy is Your Ahupua'a Guidebook
- Guest Speaker Exit Ticket Example
- Central Oahu Community Meeting Presentation
- Mini Project Options Slideshow PDF
- Manana Forest Visit Prep-Invitation Slideshow PDF
- GIS in Watershed_Ahupua`a Assessment Slideshow PDF
- Watersheds and Human Impacts Slideshow PDF
- Pearl City Specific Watershed Intro Slideshow PDF
- Ewa Watershed Introduction Slideshow PDF
Learner Level High School
Primary Content Agriculture, Career & Technical, Science, STEM