Secondary & SPED
Master of Education in Teaching (MEDT)
How to Apply Instructions
1. UHM Graduate System Application Form:
Complete the online Graduate Application Form:
- Write down your login and PIN. You will not be able to recover them if you forget them.
- “On Question #7, choose “Teaching–MEdT” as your Planned Course of Study.
- There aren’t any options listed under “Concentration” – please leave it blank
- Application fee $100 (non-refundable)
- Official Transcripts from each institution attended (except for UH system transcripts)
- TOEFL or IELTS Scores (International Students only)
2. College of Education Mākālei Application:
- Submit the following through Mākālei: makalei.coe.hawaii.edu
- Select a Program
- Degree: Master’s Degree
- Program: MEdT, Teaching – Dual license SPED/Secondary
- Select Program Options
- Major: In the first major box, select the subject you want to obtain a license to teach. In the second major box, select Mild/Moderate.
- Program Delivery Option: This program is only offered via online/hybrid delivery (Statewide).
- Licensure Track Admission Checklist
- Personal Statement/Essay
- Select a Program
3. Content Knowledge Requirement:
Applicants may choose to verify their content knowledge in their general education licensure field using one of the following options:
- Submitting a passing score on the licensure test adopted by the Board in the content field chosen.
- Submit official scores to University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, institution code R4867, OR
- Complete a Content Coursework Inventory Worksheet indicating you meet one of the following options for your licensure field (i.e., English, science, math, social studies):
- Content major consisting of a minimum of thirty semester hours in the content field for a bachelor’s degree awarded by an accredited institution of higher; OR
- A minimum of thirty semester hours in the content field from an accredited institution of higher education, at least fifteen of which must be upper division level; OR
- A master’s, specialist, or doctoral degree in the license field awarded by an accredited institution of higher education.
Content Coursework Inventory Worksheets (Sample Worksheet):
Note. You do not need to demonstrate content knowledge in special education as part of your application. All candidates in the program will take the Praxis Content Knowledge exam in special education prior to student teaching.
4. Three Letters of Recommendation:
Provide the name, email address, phone number, and relationship for three references in your Mākālei application. Your references will be sent a link to complete our online Letter of Recommendation form. If they are not able to complete the form online, please download our letter of recommendation guidelines and provide your reference with a copy. Mākālei will facilitate the submission of your letters of recommendation, but you are ultimately responsible for ensuring they are received by the March 1 deadline. The common reasons references are not receiving the system generated email are 1) email delivery to spam folder, 2) mistyped email addresses.
5. Admission Interview:
All applicants must attend an interview. Information on possible interview days will be shared out with all applicants.
A confirmation email with additional information about the interview will be sent to applicants with complete applications. Please ensure that you are reachable by the email entered on your Mākālei application form.
Interview dates for Fall 2022 incoming cohorts are as follows:
- February 26th, 2022 (Saturday), 9 am to 12 pm
- March 23th, 2022 (Wednesday), 3 pm to 6 pm
- March 26th, 2022 (Saturday), 9 am to 12 pm