Secondary & SPED
Master of Education in Teaching (MEDT)
How to Apply Instructions
1. UHM Graduate System Application Form:
Complete the online Graduate Application Form:
- Write down your login and PIN. You will not be able to recover them if you forget them.
- “On Question #7, choose “Teaching–MEdT” program as your Planned Course of Study.
- Application fee $100 (non-refundable)
- Official Transcripts from each institution attended (except for UH system transcripts)
- TOEFL or IELTS Scores (International Students only)
2. College of Education Mākālei Application:
Submit the following through Mākālei:
- Program Delivery Preference
- Master of Education in Teaching (MEdT) (Online/Hybrid) indicates you intend to complete the program on any island attending online/hybrid classes.
- Select the subject you want to obtain a licensed to teach.
- Dual License Option
- Hawaiian Language Immersion applicants must be fluent speakers of Hawaiian.
- Special Education (Mild/Moderate).
- Personal statements
3. Content Knowledge Requirement:
Applicants may choose to verify their content knowledge by submitting a passing score on the licensure test adopted by the Board in the content field. Submit official scores to University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, institution code R4867.
Complete a Content Coursework Inventory Worksheet for the following options:
|Requirement||Worksheet By Content|
4. Three Letters of Recommendation:
Provide the name, email address, phone number and relationship for three references in your Mākālei application. Your references will be sent a link to complete our online Letter of Recommendation form. If they are not able to complete the form online, please download our letter of recommendation guidelines and provide your reference with a copy. Mākālei will facilitate the submission of your letters of recommendation, but you are ultimately responsible for ensuring they are received by the March 1 deadline. The most common reasons references are not receiving the system generated email are: 1) email delivery to spam folder, 2) mistyped email addresses.
5. Admission Interview:
Admission interviews will be held on Saturday, February 22, 2020 (priority deadline) and Saturday, March 28, 2020 (final deadline). All applicants must attend a half-day interview on one of these dates in-person or online. A confirmation email containing an interview schedule will be sent to applicants with complete applications. Please be ensure that you are reachable by the emails entered in both application forms.