EdD Professional Practice
Doctorate in Education in Professional Education Practice
How to Apply Instructions
Please read the instructions on how to apply to the program and note that only complete applications with all supporting documents will be reviewed for admission. The program seeks qualified candidates across the state and requires sixty-four semester hours of credit spread over three years of study. Students will be organized in cohorts to encourage collaboration on projects, and they will be conducted in a combination of face-to-face instruction (during the summer) and participation in field-based projects. Instruction will involve collaboration with key stakeholders in the profession. Given the practitioner orientation of the program, there will be a strong applied research focus with students working on problems of practice in institutional settings.
STEPS TO APPLY
1. Submit Materials to Office of Graduate Education (OGE) (or submit online through Makalei).
- Office of Graduate Education Application Form
- Official transcripts from each institution attended (except for UH)
- Graduate Division Residency Declaration Form (if applicable)
- TOEFL scores (if applicable)
- Financial status verification for foreign students
The application and additional forms (payment, residency, and confidential financial statement for international applicants) are available on the UH Manoa Office Graduate of Education website: http://manoa.hawaii.edu/graduate/content/how-apply
Complete the Confidential Financial Statement for International Applicants if applicable. Sign this form and mail it directly to the Graduate Division. Print EdD Program clearly on top of the form and highlight.
Submit Materials online through Makalei.
1) Leadership Letter:
Submit a Leadership Letter (1,000 words)
- Share your rationale for applying to the EdD program.
- Think about a problem of practice you have experienced in your leadership role. Describe how you have approached this problem of practice. Provide a specific example of how you resolved the situation.
- Describe personal and professional dispositions that would contribute to your overall success and growth in the program.
2) Brief Resume or Curriculum Vita (CV):
- You are required to submit your resume or CV, either online through Makalei.
3) Three completed Recommendation Forms
- Three completed Recommendation forms (PDF form fillable) are required to support your application. These letters should be submitted by those who can assess you in the following arenas: 1) professional, 2) academic, 3) personal. Your references may choose to submit a supporting letter, but it is not required.
- The Recommendation Form is available through Makalei or under Forms and Documents on this website for your references.
4) Writing Sample: (1,000 words)
Submit an academic writing sample in response to a video by Dr. Jamaica Osorio, Kumulipo.
- Watch the video on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc176yYdcxY
- Write a response to the video.
5) Video Submission: (3 minutes)
- Create a video answering the following question: How will you contribute to the program and cohort?
- Upload the video to YouTube
- Submit the link to your video in Makalei where prompted.