MEd, Educational Administration

Typical Length 2 years

Delivery Campus-Based




Stipends Available

The MEd degree with emphasis in higher education administration is designed for individuals who are interested in mid-level administrative and staff positions in higher education institutions (e.g., admissions, housing, student activities, financial aid, counseling, health services). Prior experience working in higher education is strongly recommended.

Students should apply to be admitted before completing more than 12 credits as an unclassified student. The MEd degree consists of 30 credits with two required courses (Introduction to Higher Education, EDEA 657, and Research in Educational Administration, EDEA 602). In meeting program requirements, students are encouraged to plan an individualized program of coursework and electives with their advisors to help them reach their specific professional goals.

Who should consider this program

For students who seek the M.Ed. degree with an emphasis in higher education, the program is designed for those with interest in mid-level administrative and staff positions in higher education administration (e.g., admissions, housing, student activities, financial aid, placement, counseling, and health services). Experience in working in higher education is desirable.

Common Careers

Positions in mid-level administrative and staff positions in higher education institutions.

Admission Requirements
Apply to UHM Graduate Division View This Task

You must submit a graduate division application.

Online Applications

To submit your application please go to the UHM online application.

Make sure you choose the application type “Graduate Studies”.

For checklist item #7 (Planned Course of Study) select "Educational Administration-MEd"

For directions and information on the UHM Graduate application process, go to the Graduate Division Forms page and select - Graduate Admissions Application General Information and Instructions.

Information for prospective students can be found on the prospective students page of the UHM Graduate Division website.

Paper Applications

If you choose to submit a paper application you must download and complete the paper application (select “Graduate Admissions Application and Fee Payment Form”). Please carefully review the Graduate Division application instructions (select “Graduate Admissions Application General Information and Instructions”) and comply with the most current requirements and submission procedures.

It is a good idea to submit copies of all Graduate Division application materials to the COE department you are applying to with your COE application materials.

When completing a paper application, if you wish to qualify to pay resident tuition at UHM based on residency status or Board of Regents exemptions you should also submit the Residency Declaration Form.

Send your paper application along with Residency Declaration Form to the UHM Office of Graduate Education at:

2540 Maile Way
Spalding 354
Honolulu, HI 96822
Completed Baccalaureate Degree View This Task

Must have graduated from an accredited, four-year institution of higher education recognized by the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa (UHM), prior to beginning the MEd, Educational Administration: Educational Administration - Higher Education program.

To check if you graduated from a UHM recognized institution contact the UHM Graduate Division at or (808) 956-8544.

Undergraduate Cumulative GPA View This Task

An Undergraduate Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.

The Graduate Division at the University of Hawaii at Manoa (UHM) requires an undergraduate cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher to be considered for admission. Some departments however may admit students with GPA’s that are below a 3.0. Departments consider the GPA along with other factors when making their admission decisions.

Submitted Transcripts View This Task

A transcript from each post-secondary institution attended.

You should also including transcripts from, any study abroad or exchange programs, summer programs, and non-degree work and extension programs. Your official transcripts need to be sent directly to the Graduate Division from the issuing institution(s), or in sealed institutional envelopes if submitted with the application.

UH Transcripts

Transcripts are not required for course work completed at any of the UH campuses. Graduate Division Student Services will obtain UH transcripts on behalf of applicants.

International Students

Refer to the Office of Graduate Education International Admissions Requirements website for specific international requirements.

Send your official transcripts to the UHM Graduate Division at:
2540 Maile Way
Spalding 354
Honolulu, HI 96822

Unofficial Transcripts

You may submit a copy of your unofficial transcripts directly to the department. However, you are still required to have your official transcripts sent directly to the UH Mānoa Graduate Division at the address above.

Upload your unofficial transcripts.
This link opens in a new window or tab.

Submitting unofficial transcripts to the department alone does NOT meet the transcripts requirement.

Previous Faculty Contact(s) View This Task

Provide the names of faculty you have previously contacted

Provide the name(s) and number(s) of the UHM faculty you have personally communicated with regarding your admission to UHM, if any:

List one faculty member per line.

Word limit 500
Statement of Objectives View This Task

A written statement of objectives as part of your application.

You are required to write a response to the following question as part of your application to the MEd, Educational Administration: Educational Administration - Higher Education program.

Use the following directions to submit your statement of objectives.

  1. Save your statement as either a word (.doc/.docx) or PDF (.pdf) format.
  2. Name the file with your name and the word statement
    (e.g. StudentName_Statement.pdf).
  3. Upload your statement to Mākālei
    This link opens in a new window or tab.
Submit Resume or Curriculum Vita (CV) View This Task

Your resume or CV.

You are required to submit your resume or CV. You can either upload a copy directly to Mākālei or mail or fax a copy to the department.

Upload your resume or CV
This link opens in a new window or tab.

AlertYour resume or CV must be in either Microsoft Word (.doc/.docx) or PDF (.pdf) format.


Mail or Fax your Resume/Vitae to:

Department of Educational Administration
Wist Hall Rm 220
1776 University Ave
Honolulu, HI 96822
Fax: (808) 956-4120

Three Professional References View This Task

Provide Three (3) Professional References

List three people that may be contacted as professional references, e.g., supervisor, instructor, etc. These references will be sent an email with directions for submitting an optional letter. Please verify in advance, the listed references have agreed to be a reference and inform them they will receive an email with instructions to submit an optional letter of recommendation. The College reserves the right to contact professional references other than those listed.

Name E-mail Phone Relationship Send

Please make sure the letters are submitted by:
Letters can be submitted by one of the following:

  1. Upload to Mākālei (preferred):
    • You will be able to see any letters that are uploaded into Mākālei. If you or your references want the letters to be private, letters should be faxed or mailed in.

  2. Fax: (808) 956-4120
  3. Mail:
    • Department of Educational Administration,
      University Hawai‘i at Mānoa,
      Everly Hall, Room 220,
      1776 University Avenue,
      Honolulu, HI 96822

English Proficiency (TOEFL/IELTS) View This Task

Applicants who are not native English speakers may need to take the TOEFL or IELTS (Academic) tests. For more information view the Graduate Division website. For more information on the TOEFL and IELTS tests and to determine if you need to take them please visit the Graduate Division's English Proficiency website.

Minimum acceptable scores for the 2 tests are:

600/100 (Paper/Internet)

25 Listening
25 Speaking

6.00 for the Overall band test results

Send your official scores to the UHM Graduate Division at:

2540 Maile Way
Spalding 354
Honolulu, HI 96822

Identification Documents View This Task

International students are required to submit a copy of their Identification documents (i.e. Passport or Identification Card)

As required by U.S. federal regulations, all international applicants are required to submit a copy of their passport identification pages, or a copy of their national identification card if a passport is not available.

Send your identification documents to the UHM Graduate Division at:
2540 Maile Way
Spalding 354
Honolulu, HI 96822

International applicants need to show proof of sufficient funding to cover all educational and living expenses

International applicants need to show proof of sufficient funding to cover all educational and living expenses ,including expenses for any accompanying spouse or children. Upon admission to UHM, only international applicants with proof of funding will receive visa documents. The Confidential Financial Statement Form for International Applicants is required of most international applicants.

Send your financial statement to the UHM Graduate Division at:
2540 Maile Way
Spalding 354
Honolulu, HI 96822

How to Apply
Application Deadlines
Starting Semester General Admission International Students Admission
Fall March 1 January 15
Spring September 1 August 1

How to Apply
Delivery & Format

A 30 credit program with courses offered in combination as online, hybrid, or in-person on the Mānoa campus. Courses are offered through the Departments of Educational Administration in the College of Education. Students are often able to complete the program in 2 years.


The MEd – Higher Education track is a 30-credit graduate program consisting of the following:

  • EDEA 657 (core requirement): Introduction to Educational Administration (3)
  • EDEA 602 (core requirement): Research in Educational Administration (3)
  • Research (3), one minimum (EDEA 604:  Qualitative Research Methods or EDEA 629:  Educational Statistics)
  • Organizations (3), select one minimum (EDEA 646: College Student Development Theory, EDEA 650: Organizational Leadership in Education, and EDEA 662: Curriculum in Higher Education)
  • Management & Leadership (3), two minimum (EDEA 660: Leadership in Higher Education, EDEA 661: Leadership in Student Affairs, and EDEA 663: Community College Leadership)
  • Policy & Governance (3), one minimum (EDEA 620H: Education Finance or EDEA 630H: Education Law)
  • Seminar (3), one minimum (any EDEA 780 seminar)

Select one of the following options:

  • Plan A (Thesis):  EDEA 700V(6)
  • Plan B (Project):  EDEA 695 (3) +Elective (3)
    • Elective courses should be chosen in consultation with your advisor.