Manca Sustarsic is a Ph.D. Candidate in Global and International Education at the Department of Educational Foundations. Her research interests include international student mobility and education for sustainable development. Manca’s dissertation research focuses on public diplomacy: US Department of State scholarship students at a secondary school level and their host families. She is currently working as a graduate research assistant on a multi-level education intervention program that provides at-risk youth in Hawai’i with the opportunity to gain life skills that are necessary for a successful transition into adulthood. Her previous work experience includes working with international and exchange students. Manca holds a BA in International Relations from Hawai’i Pacific University and a MA in Asian Studies from the University of Hawai’i at Manoa.
Manca’s research interests include international student mobility and education for sustainable development. Her dissertation research focuses on public diplomacy: US Department of State scholarship students at a secondary school level and their host families.
Global & International Education
BA, International Relations. (2010)
Hawai‘i Pacific University, Honolulu, HI
MA, Asian Studies. (2014)
University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa, Honolulu, HI
1. Chiba, M., Sustarsic, M., Perriton, S., & Edwards Jr., D. B. (2021). Investigating effective teaching and learning for sustainable development and global citizenship: Implications from a systematic review of the literature. International Journal of Educational Development, 81(2021).
2. Sustarsic, M. & Cheng, B. (2020). Secondary School Student Mobility: Social and Cultural Capital Transmission Through Merit-based Exchange Programs. In Kommers, S. & Bista, K. (eds.). Inequalities in study abroad and student mobility: Navigating challenges and future directions (pp. 71–83). Routledge.
3. Sustarsic, M. (2020). The Impact of Intercultural Exchange on Secondary School Exchange Students and Their Host Families. Journal of International Students 10(4), 912–933.
4. Means, A., Sojot, A., Ida, Y., & Sustarsic, M. (2020). Empire and Education. Educational Philosophy and Theory, 1–3.
5. Edwards, D. B., Jr., Sustarsic, M., Chiba, M., McCormick, M., Goo, M., Perriton, S. (2020). Achieving and Monitoring Education for Sustainable Development and Global Citizenship: A Systematic Review of the Literature. Sustainability, 12, 1383.
6. Edwards, D. B., Jr., Le, H., & Sustarsic, M. (2019). Spatializing a global education phenomenon: Private tutoring and mobility theory in Cambodia. Journal of Education Policy, 3, 1–20.
7. Sustarsic, M. (2014). China and ASEAN: Strategic partnership or competition over the South China Sea? [Master’s thesis, University of Hawai‘i at Manoa].