Elementary, Secondary, or Hawaiian Language Immersion
Master of Education in Teaching (MEDT)
How to Apply Instructions
1. UHM Graduate System Application Form:
Complete the online Graduate Application Form:
- Write down your login and PIN. You will not be able to recover them if you forget them.
- Institution = “University of Hawaii at Manoa”
- Site = “UH Manoa Main Campus”
- Application Type= “Graduate Studies Fall Admission”
- On Application Checklist Item #7, choose “Teaching–MEdT” as your Planned Course of Study.
- Application fee $100 (non-refundable)
- Official Transcripts from each institution attended (except for UH system transcripts)
- TOEFL or IELTS Scores (International Students only)
2. College of Education Mākālei Application:
Submit the following through Mākālei:
- Program Delivery Preference
- Master of Education in Teaching (MEdT) (Face-to-face) indicates you intend to complete the program on ʻOahu attending mostly face-to-face classes.
- (Master of Education in Teaching (MEdT) (Online/Hybrid) indicates you intend to complete the program on any island attending online/hybrid classes.
- Select the subject you want to obtain a license to teach.
- Dual License Option
- Hawaiian Language Immersion applicants must be fluent speakers of Hawaiian.
- Personal statements
3. Content Knowledge Requirement:
Applicants may choose to verify their content knowledge by submitting a passing score on the licensure test adopted by the Board in the content field. Submit official scores to University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, institution code R4867.
Demonstrate content knowledge through prior coursework.
For Elementary Education (gr. K-6)
A minimum of thirty-six semester hours of coursework from an accredited institution of higher education with at least nine (9) semester hours in each of the following four core content areas: language arts, mathematics, science and social studies. At least three (3) semester hours in each of the core content areas must be upper division (300 or 400 level).
Submit an elementary content coursework inventory worksheet:
For Secondary Education (gr. 6-12)
The three alternatives for secondary education are:
- Content major consisting of a minimum of thirty semester hours in the content field; OR
- A minimum of thirty semester hours in the content field for a bachelor’s degree awarded by an accredited institution of higher education; OR
- A master’s, specialist, or doctoral degree in the license field awarded by an accredited institution of higher education.
To verify the above, submit a content coursework inventory worksheet for the subject you want to teach:
- Art: http://tiny.cc/inventory-art
- English: http://tiny.cc/inventory-english
- Hawaiian: http://tiny.cc/inventory-hawaiian
- Math: http://tiny.cc/inventory-mathematics
- Science: http://tiny.cc/inventory-science
- Social Studies: http://tiny.cc/inventory-socialstudies
For a sample content coursework inventory worksheet, see: http://tiny.cc/inventory-sample
4. Three Letters of Recommendation:
Provide the name, email address, phone number and relationship for three references in your Mākālei application. Your references will be sent a link to complete our online Letter of Recommendation form. If they are not able to complete the form online, please download our letter of recommendation guidelines and provide your reference with a copy. Mākālei will facilitate the submission of your letters of recommendation, but you are ultimately responsible for ensuring they are received by the March 1 deadline. The most common reasons references are not receiving the system generated email are: 1) email delivery to spam folder, 2) mistyped email addresses.