Become a Licensed Special Education Teacher (PK-3, K-6, or 6-12)

How to Apply Instructions

Spring admission only:

Next Enrollment: Spring 2023 Cohort

Application Period: May 1, 2022 to Oct. 1, 2022

To receive updates and notifications once applications open, please fill out the Request More Info form:

Once applications are open, candidates must submit BOTH online applications prior to the deadline to be eligible for admissions:

  1. COE Mākālei Application
  2. UH Mānoa System Application

Links to both applications, along with step-by-step directions are provided below. You do not need to complete the applications in the given order, as both applications can be worked on and submitted up until the final deadline.

COE Mākālei Application (free)

Go to:

  • Degree: Post-Baccalaureate Certificate, 
  • Program: Post-Baccalaureate Certificate, Special Education (PBSPED)
  • Select Program Options
    • Verify everything is correct:
      • Spring 2022
      • Licensure
      • CHOOSE TRACK: Mild/Moderate or Severe/Autism
      • Statewide
      • CHOOSE LOCATION: Which island you will be pursuing the program from
  • Complete Licensure Track Application Checklist
    • Gainful Employment Information
      • This is an institutional requirement for certificate programs. You can read the information if interested. Check the box.
    • Apply to UH System
      • The directions for submitting this application are shared after this application. Check the box when complete. 
    • Completed Baccalaureate Degree
      • Check the box if you have a bachelor’s degree or will finish your degree prior to beginning the program.
    • Cumulative GPA
      • Check off that you understand. If your GPA is a little below the 2.75 requirement, you can check the box with the understanding you are aware. If your GPA is below a 2.5 you would have needed to contact an OSAS advisor about pursuing amnesty otherwise you will not be admissable. Those who already pursued amnesty can check the box.
    • Writing Conventions & Skills Assessment
    • Video Recorded Responses & Essay
    • Statement of Objectives
      • You can draft your response in Word or another word processor and then copy and paste into the box (about 1 page). Don’t check the box until it is complete, as you won’t be able to go back in and edit.
      • Prompt:Think of the most influential teacher you have had.
        1. Tell us who that person is (including their name, level, and school) and how/why that person impacted you the most.
        2. Then tell us what unique qualities and skills you have that would make you a successful teacher.
    • Resumé
      • Upload using the link and naming conventions provided
    • Three Professional References
      • You need to include the name, email, phone number, and relationship for three references. They will automatically be emailed a form to fill out on your behalf. 
    • Repeated courses, if any
      • If you have repeated courses, you can list them here. This is needed if your GPA is close to or below the 2.75 requirement. Otherwise, check the box.
    • Prior Post-Secondary Program Enrollment
      • Please verify if you have ever been dismissed from a post-secondary program (bachelor’s degree, certificate, advanced degree, etc.)
  • Submit Makalei Application

UH Mānoa System Application ($70) + Official Transcripts

UPDATE 9/16/21 – The link to pay the application fee will be emailed to you after you submit your application. You can no longer pay your fee directly within the application itself.

  1. Start a new UH System Application:
    • About You
      1. Personal Info
      2. Address
      3. Your Family (SKIP)
      4. Citizenship
        • International Students requiring visas are not eligible to apply to this program.
      5. Ethnicity (Optional)
      6. Other Background (Optional)
    •  Your Academics
      • Enrollment Plans
        • Select Spring 2022
        • List estimated number of credits completed (SKIP)
        • Planned Course of Study: Post Baccalaureate Certificate in Special Education
      • College Information
        • You can list up to 4
      • Unofficial Transcripts
        • Not required, but if you have them go ahead and upload them.
      • Test Scores
        • If your degree is from an institution outside of the country, where English is not the language used, then you would need to take and pass the English proficiency exam. You can find more information on the UH Admissions website.
    • Final Step
      • Residency Status
      • Final Step: Verify everything is correct
      • Submit Application
    • Pay $70 fee (non-refundable)
      • You will receive a follow-up email within a week that shares a link to pay your application fee.
graduation cap iconTranscripts
Official transcripts must be submitted directly from your undergraduate institution to UH Mānoa. For the Post Baccalaureate Certificate in Special Education program, you are only required to submit transcripts from the institution you received your bachelor’s degree and any additional institutions you attended there-after. If you received your degree from a University of Hawaiʻi System institution: UHM, UHH, UHWO, or any Hawaii Community College, official transcripts do not need to be sent as they are already in the UH System.
Unofficial, faxed, hand-carried, or student copies of academic documents will not be accepted as official transcripts. 
When possible, please send official electronic transcripts for admissions to:
If electronic transcripts are not available, please submit unofficial transcripts for now and then mail an official transcript to the address below:
Mailbox icon
Send transcripts to:
University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa
Office of Admissions
2600 Campus Road, Room 001
Honolulu, HI 96822-2385

If you have any questions regarding these requirements or need assistance with the application process, please contact