Tutoring Program Overview
The Department of Special Education offers free online tutoring for students who would benefit from one-to-one online reading support. This tutoring support is provided by current licensed special education teachers who are enrolled in our Reading Interventionist Program at the College of Education to become nationally certified Reading Interventionists. This online tutoring program provides these teachers with the field requirements and hours needed as they work towards national certification as Reading Interventionists by the International Dyslexia Association and Center for Effective Reading Instruction. Therefore, students and families must commit to consistently participating in the program for the entire tutoring period in order to be eligible for this free online tutoring support.
Please help in sharing this opportunity with the parents/guardians of eligible students!
Two online tutoring program options are available:
- Summer Program: Available for students in Grades 1-3, provided over 6-weeks in the summer
- Fall & Spring Program: Available for students in Grades 1-12, provided over 24 weeks during the SY 2024-2025
General Eligibility Requirements for Tutees
- Students must be performing below grade level in reading
- All students performing below grade level in reading are eligible to apply, including students with IEPs.
- Students must have access to a computer and internet during the tutoring sessions.
- Tutoring sessions will be conducted via the Zoom video conferencing platform.
- All online reading materials are provided by the program. No materials need to be purchased by the family of the tutee.
Please refer to more detailed information below for each program session type.
Program Option Details
Summer Tutoring Program & Eligibility Details
- Eligibility Details: Students must have been in grades 1-3 during SY 2023-2024 (Note: Children who are currently in 3rd grade going into 4th grade and Kindergarten going into first grade would still benefit and are eligible if they are reading below grade level.)
- Timeframe: Online one-to-one tutoring is provided over 6 weeks during the summer. The Summer 2024 session is from June 10 – July 19, 2024. Students and families must commit to consistently participating in the program for the six-week period.
- Weekly Time Commitment: Virtual tutoring sessions will be scheduled for 30 minutes each, 3 days per week. Exact days/times will be arranged to meet the needs of tutee and tutor.
Fall & Spring Tutoring Program & Eligibility Details
- Eligibility Details: Students must be in grades 1-12 during SY 2023-2024
- Timeframe: Online one-to-one tutoring is provided throughout the school year (24 weeks: August 2024 – April 2025). There will be a break from the tutoring sessions during the months of December and January. Students and families must commit to consistently participating in the program throughout the identified school year.
- Weekly Time Commitment: Exact days/times will be arranged to meet the needs of tutee and tutor. Tutoring sessions may follow one of the following schedules:
- 30 – 45 minutes each, 3 days per week; or
- 60 minutes each, 2 days a week
Inquiries & Applications
How to Apply
Summer 2024 Application Deadline: April 21, 2024
Fall & Spring 2024-2025 Application Deadline: June 10, 2024
Please note that space is limited and participation is not guaranteed. Admissions notifications will be sent within a few weeks after the identified deadline. Late applications may be considered, contingent on availability. However, parents/guardians can complete the form year-round to be notified of next enrollment period.
Parents/Guardians: Please complete this intake Google Form to the best of your knowledge and indicate which session(s) you would like to apply for: https://forms.gle/QJKQznv6Ckg7DZSX9
For questions or assistance, please email email@example.com