MEd. Educational Psychology

Typical Length Varies

Delivery Campus-Based

UHM Psychology majors are invited to apply for a dual-enroll program leading a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and a Master’s of Education in Educational Psychology. In their senior year, BAM students will be dual-enrolled in the two programs and will take 9 credits (PSY 489/EDEP 489, EDEP 601, EDEP 608) that will count for both the BA and MEd. Students can complete the MEd one year after they finish their BA.

In general, educational psychology focuses on human learning and development in the context of education. All BAM students will complete a master’s thesis or Plan B paper. In their senior year BAM students will begin working on their culminating projects with a faculty member in educational psychology.

Who should consider this program

Undergraduate Psychology BA majors who would like to learn more about educational psychology, earn a master’s degree, and finish both degrees in five years.

Common Careers

The following are just some of the many positions our graduates hold.

UH System – researchers, data analysts, academic advisors, program managers, evaluators, and academic support staff

HIDOE/Local Educational Organizations – assessment and evaluation specialists, educational directors and consultants, behavioral health specialists, and teachers (program does not lead to teacher certification; these teachers already had licensure)

On the U.S. Continent – educational and program coordinators; academic advisors; and educators in schools, museums, and businesses.

Admission Requirements

Applicants must be currently enrolled as a Bachelor of Arts (BA) student in the UH Mānoa Psychology Undergraduate program.

Applicants must also have met with and received advising from the Psychology Undergraduate Advising Office.

An Undergraduate Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.

A transcript from each post-secondary institution attended.

You are required to write your Professional Goals as part of your application.

Your resumé or CV.

Three (3) letters of recommendation

Applicants who are not native English speakers may need to take the TOEFL or IELTS (Academic) tests. For more information view the Graduate Division website.

International students that have been admitted are required to submit a copy of their Identification documents (i.e. Passport or Identification Card)

International applicants need to show proof of sufficient funding to cover all educational and living expenses

How to Apply
Application Deadlines
Starting Semester General Admission International Students Admission
Fall March 1 March 1
Spring October 1 October 1
Summer March 1 March 1

How to Apply
Tuition & Funding

In their senior year (first year of the BAM program), students will be dual enrolled in the BA and MEd programs and will pay undergraduate tuition of $471 per credit for residents and $1,389 for non-residents. After students complete the BA program, they will be assessed a tuition of $650 per credit for residents and $1402 per credit for non-residents. Information on tuition and fees can be found under the “Undergraduate General” and “Graduate General & Post-Baccalaureate Unclassified” headings on the Office of the Registrar’s website.

There are many resources available to help graduate students pay for college, including College of Education scholarships. There are also several scholarships listed generally through the UH Manoa General Scholarship ListSTAR website (please note that this is only accessible to students with a valid UH ID number – must be admitted as a student prior to looking for scholarships on this site) and the Financial Support section of the Graduate Division website. For more information on financial aid and additional resources, please visit the UH Manoa Financial Aid Office (

Some students may find employment as graduate assistants (GAs) which includes a tuition waiver as well as a stipend.


EDEP courses are generally offered face to face with one to two classes offered online or using a hybrid model each semester. Classes are usually offered in the late afternoon to accommodate students’ work schedules.


EDEP 311/PSY 301 is the gateway course for the BAM pathway. A grade of B or better is required.

EDEP 601, EDEP 608, EDEP/PSY 489 or PSY 449 are double-counted courses for the Psychology BA and Educational Psychology M.Ed.

The M.Ed. in Educational Psychology is a 30-credit graduate program of six required core courses and a minimum of twelve elective credits.

See a full list of courses and a sample plan in the handbook.

Advising & Faculty

Our faculty and staff will provide you with guidance and resources to support your success from beginning to end. You will receive a dedicated faculty advisor to partner with you on your journey.

Program Coordinator