PhD in Education Psychology

Typical Length 5 years

Delivery Campus-Based

Nationally Accredited

The PhD program in Educational Psychology is directed toward increasing students’ competence in educational inquiry, and provides rigorous knowledge and expertise with two specializations, 1) human learning and development; and 2) measurement, statistics, and evaluation (MSE). Courses are offered in the areas of human learning, cognition, and development; and statistics, measurement, evaluation and research design and methodology. The program prepares individuals to conduct applied and original research and evaluation in public and private educational settings and provide instruction and consultation appropriate for all educational levels.

Who should consider this program

Educators pursuing careers as professors, researchers, specialists, administrators, or other types of leadership positions may want to consider a masters degree or PhD in the field of Educational Psychology. The Department of Educational Psychology (EDEP) promotes inquiry in human learning and development within the context of a diverse society.

Common Careers

The primary employers are educational institutions, both public and private, at all levels: K through 12, postsecondary (community colleges and universities). Also, government and private agencies like testing companies, non-profit agencies, research institutes, and private or public educational organizations.

There is no single job title for educational psychologists in organizations, but some examples include professor, program evaluator, educational consultant, test developer, statistician, psychometrician, and educational specialist.

Admission Requirements

Eligibility Requirements

  • Master’s Degree: It is strongly recommended that applicants have graduated, or will graduate, from a UHM recognized, accredited, master’s degree program prior to beginning the PhD, Educational Psychology program
  • GPA: 3.0 or above

Application Requirements

  • Submit UHM Graduate Application ($100)
    • Official transcripts from each post-secondary institution attended
    • Submit GRE scores
  • Submit Application Supplement Materials directly to, which includes
    • Statement of Purpose, including:
      • Chosen Emphasis (i.e., General Educational Psychology or Measurement, Statistics and Evaluation)
      • Description of Research Skills and Experience and other Relevant Experiences
    • Curriculum Vitae or Resumé
    • Sample of Scholarly Writing
  • Submit Three (3) recommendation forms (letters are optional; academic recommendations preferred, such as former or current professors)
  • International Students may need to submit additional requirements, such as:
    • Applicants who are not native English speakers may need to take the TOEFL or IELTS (Academic) tests. For more information, view the Graduate Division Standardized Exam website.
    • Admitted international students are required to complete a Confidential Financial Statement, which includes identification documents and proof of sufficient funding. More information can be found at:


Application Deadlines
Starting Semester General Admission International Students Admission
Fall March 1 March 1
Spring October 1 October 1

How to Apply
Delivery & Format

Campus-Based Program (Evening, hybrid, and online courses at UH Mānoa)

EDEP courses are generally offered face to face with one to two classes offered online or using a hybrid model each semester. Classes are usually offered in the late afternoon to accommodate students’ work schedules.


All doctoral students will be required to take the courses listed below. There are 33 credits required for these core courses. Students will need to receive a grade of no lower than B (B- will not be acceptable) in each of these courses.

Core Courses

  • Introductory Courses ( 6 credits)
  • Learning and Development (12 credits)
  • Qualitative Research Methods (3 credits)
  • Measurement, Statistics, and Evaluation (12 credits)

Note: full list of courses are in the handbook

Additional Degree Requirements

  • Cognate Area of Specialization (Nine credits in learning & development or measurement,
    statistics, and evaluation)
  • College Teaching Experience
  • Minimum residence of three semesters of full-time work or equivalent in credits at UHM
  • Dissertation
  • Minimum of one course of dissertation credit (1 credit minimum) during final semester

For more information regarding degree requirements beyond core courses please see the EDEP Student Handbook.

Tuition & Funding

The current tuition rate is $650 per credit for residents and $1402 per credit for non-residents. Information on tuition and fees can be found under the “General & Post-Baccalaureate Unclassified” heading on the Office of the Registrar’s website.

There are many resources available to help graduate students pay for college, including College of Education scholarships. There are also several scholarships listed generally through the UH Manoa General Scholarship ListSTAR website (please note that this is only accessible to students with a valid UH ID number – must be admitted as a student prior to looking for scholarships on this site) and the Financial Support section of the Graduate Division website. For more information on financial aid and additional resources, please visit the UH Manoa Financial Aid Office (

Some students may find employment as graduate assistants (GAs) which includes a tuition waiver as well as a stipend.

Advising & Faculty

Our faculty and staff will provide you with guidance and resources to support your success from beginning to end. You will receive a dedicated faculty advisor to partner with you on your journey.

Program Coordinator

Photo of Seongah Im

Seongah Im


(808) 956-4299