The Post Baccalaureate Certificate in Special Education (PBSPED) has been restructured to be completed in 18 months instead of 24 months. We are also moving admissions to spring semesters, therefore applications are open from now until October 15, 2021.
OVERVIEW OF PBSPED PROGRAM CHANGES:
- Program Length: 18 months (e.g., Spring 2022 – Spring 2023)
- DOE Tuition Stipends (about $17,000): Already approved and will be offered to all admitted candidates for Spring 2022 admissions!
- Application: We have added a Writing Conventions and Skills Assessment, which is a multiple-choice assessment to determine if writing support is warranted throughout the program.
- Prerequisite Courses: Applicants do not need to have prerequisites completed prior to applying to the program. Information on how to register for prerequisites will be shared after the October 15th deadline and candidates will complete these requirements prior to beginning the program in Spring 2022. SPED 304/SPED 412 (approx. $1,413) will be funded by the department for Spring 2022 applicants, however, SPED 501 will need to be paid by the applicant and is currently the only out-of-pocket tuition cost (approx. $471).
- Coursework: Will remain the same, but offered in a new sequence (see program website).
- Fieldwork: 3 semesters instead of 4, which includes two semesters of part-time field observations, and a final semester of full-time student teaching.
Please see PBSPED program website for more detailed information.
Step-by-Step Application Instructions
Note: We will no longer be admitting to the Post Bac in SPED for Fall 2022, however, our Master of Education in Teaching, Dual Secondary & Special Education will continue to enroll each Fall.
HAVE QUESTIONS OR NEED HELP?
Contact the Special Education Recruitment Specialist via any of the following:
- Interest Form: https://coe.hawaii.edu/sped/programs/pbsped/request-more-info/
- Email: email@example.com
- Virtual Appointment: https://bit.ly/spedappointment
- RSVP to attend an online information session: https://info.coe.hawaii.edu/onlineinfosessions