Applications are now open for our next Special Education Post Bac & Add-a-Field cohorts! Start in Spring 2024 and graduate in Spring 2025!
The following programs enroll each Spring semester:
- Post Baccalaureate Certificate in Special Education (Apply Here)
- For individuals who already have a bachelor’s degree and are looking for initial teacher licensure in special education.
- Special Education Add-a-Teaching-Field (Apply Here)
- For current licensed general education teachers who would like to add special education to their HTSB teaching license
- Early Admission Deadline: July 1
- Final Admission Deadline: Sept 1
Our Post Bac & Add-a-Field Programs in Special Education offer many amazing benefits, including:
- FULL TUITION STIPENDS: Tuition is funded through our partnership with the Hawaii DOE in return for a service commitment teaching special education in any Hawaii public school upon program completion.
- QUALITY TRAINING: Choose your specialization (Mild to Moderate Disabilities or Severe Disabilities and Autism), with courses taught by high-quality faculty and allow you to develop in-depth skills to support your targeted student population at the grade-level of your choosing (PK-3, K-6, or 6-12).
- ACCESSIBLE: Our statewide program format allows candidates to complete the entire program from their home island. Faculty fly to each island to support candidates in the field and then candidates travel to UH Mānoa two Saturdays per semester (Travel reimbursement stipend provided to candidates living on neighboring islands to offset costs). Programs may also accommodate candidates who are already employed full-time in schools.
- SUPPORTIVE: Our cohorted model builds in a community of support during and after program completion. Our MUSE mentors provide non-evaluative ongoing support to candidates employed as emergency hires while in the program.
Interested? Options for next steps:
- Review the program website
- Post Bac in Special Education – https://coe.hawaii.edu/sped/programs/pbsped/
- Special Education Add-a-Teaching Field – https://coe.hawaii.edu/sped/programs/special-education-add-a-teaching-field/
- Attend a monthly online information session to learn more about the programs, funding opportunities, career and salary benefits, and tips for submitting your applications
- Start working on your application materials
- Post Bac in Special Education – https://coe.hawaii.edu/sped/programs/pbsped/apply/
- Special Education Add-a-Teaching Field – https://coe.hawaii.edu/sped/programs/special-education-add-a-teaching-field/apply/
- Need help? Contact the Recruitment Specialist