Get hired as a literacy specialist and earn your SPED degree! The M.Ed. in Special Education Literacy Specialist is a license field with HIDOE. This degree is designed for those who:
- Are already licensed in special education and wish to pursue a master's degree for career advancement, or
- Desire a master's degree without teacher licensure, such as those working in non-classroom-based services/settings or working with adults with disabilities, or
- Wish to add a field of Literacy Specialist to their current teaching license.
These programs will incorporate classes that are taught online. The nature of such a program requires a moderate amount of computer literacy and comfort. It also requires self-discipline to maintain the pace of the course between classes. If you are unsure of your comfort in working online or your ability to maintain progress, consult an advisor prior to applying.
- Accommodates candidates who are employed
- Classes taught online with possible synchronous online sessions, via interactive web-based course delivery (Blackboard Collarate & Laulima/Sakai)
- Access to a computer (Windows 7 or later; or Macintosh OSX 10.6 or later; or a current Linux); Office productivity suit software (i.e. MS Office, LibreOffice), printer, and an Internet connection are required
- It is strongly recommended that the above resources are available in the student’s home or at a location that has consistent/adequate internet service and is free from distractions.
|Field Work||Embedded in coursework|
*Literacy Specialist program does not lead to initial teacher licensure, but may allow the add-a-field option of Literacy Specialist to those that already hold a current teaching license in Hawaii.