Post-Baccalaureate Elementary Education
Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Elementary Education
Typical Length 18 months
If interested, please refer to the “How to Apply” page for this program. Questions and concerns can be shared using the “Request More Info” page.
The Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Elementary Education is a 31-credit program that would provide additional pathways to teacher licensure in grades K-6 for individuals who hold an undergraduate degree in a field other than education. It will also provide a pathway to teacher licensure for paraprofessionals and long-term substitutes currently working in Hawaii public schools. Providing multiple pathways to teacher licensure would address the growing need for qualified, licensed teachers in grades K-6, particularly in geographic areas that have historically experienced difficulty recruiting and retaining classroom teachers.
Once completing an initial teacher licensure program, graduates are eligible to apply for a state license through the Hawai‘i Teacher Standards Board, which will allow the licensee to teach in public and charter schools in the State of Hawai‘i.
Hawai‘i also participates in the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement which facilitates the mobility of educators among states that are members of NASDTEC. UHM recommends you contact the office of certification in any state to which you may be relocating to get the most current information. See NASDTEC website for more information.
- 2.75 GPA or higher from all postsecondary institutions attended
- Complete SPED 304: Foundations of Inclusive Schooling (with a passing grade of a C or better)
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited and UHM-recognized four-year institution of higher education
- For applicants who graduated from institutions outside of the U.S- an evaluation of your transcripts from a NACES member is required.
- Complete 40 hours of paid or voluntary group leadership field experience with K-6th grade students. The experience cannot have occurred more than 5 years prior to acceptance into the program.
- Interview with the program
- Write a personal statement
- Provide Three (3) Professional References
All applicants are encouraged to meet with an academic advisor prior to applying in order to verify admission requirements. Academic advisors can assist with identifying which requirements have been met and provide support in registering or completing next steps.
Set up an appointment with an academic advisor
Note: The start date of the PBCTE Elementary cohort may be delayed if the minimum number of participants is not met.
New cohorts start only in Spring semesters. Application deadlines are as follows:
|Starting Semester||General Admission Priority||General Admission Final||International Students Admission|
|Spring||September 1||October 1||September 1|
How to Apply
- 15 credit hours of teaching in the content areas
- 3 credit hours of educational inquiry
- 4 credit hours of teaching
- 3 credit hours of educating exceptional students
- 6 credit hours of teaching residency
See the Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Teacher Education (Elementary) brochure for more information.
In order to verify content knowledge, students who have graduated from a non-US institution of higher education must provide the College of Education with a NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) member evaluation.
Students admitted to the PB – Elementary Ed program may be eligible for Grow Our Own Teacher Initiative (GOO) stipends that cover most of the cost of tuition and fees. GOO is made possible through a partnership between the College of Education of the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa and Hawai‘i Department of Education. For more information on eligibility requirements and the application process, please visit our Grow Our Own Teachers page.
Subject to availability of funds
Please complete the Request More Info form and we will connect you with someone who will be happy to answer your questions, provide more detailed information, and assist with the application process once admissions open.
A. Kuʻulei Serna