MS, Kinesiology and Rehabilitation Science

Typical Length 3 years

Delivery Online

The University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa’s (UHM) Rehabilitation Counselor Education Program (RCEP) provides graduate-level training designed to prepare students for a fulfilling career in Rehabilitation Counseling. RCEP is a three-year academic program leading to a Master’s of Science (MS) in Kinesiology and Rehabilitation Science with a concentration in Rehabilitation Counseling.

The RCEP is conducted entirely online in both synchronous (meeting 1x/week) and asynchronous formats. Synchronous classes usually begin at 4:30 p.m. (HST) to accommodate working students. In addition, students participate in three semesters of field experiences in their own communities. This program delivers a high-quality learning experience that allows busy working professionals to earn their masterʻs degree and grow their career.

Who should consider this program

Individuals who are currently working in the field of vocational rehabilitation or interested in working in the field of vocational rehabilitation and/or working with persons with disabilities should apply.

Common careers

The Rehabilitation Counseling field is growing; employment opportunities following graduation include state vocational rehabilitation agencies, Veterans Affairs, private non-profit and for-profit rehabilitation and employment support agencies, mental health agencies, substance abuse treatment agencies, correctional facilities, and educational settings such as disability services offices at university and college campuses

Admission Requirements

Must have graduated from an accredited, four-year institution of higher education recognized by the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa (UHM), prior to beginning the MS, Kinesiology & Rehabilitation Science: Rehabilitation Counseling (HRC) program.

An Undergraduate Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.

The GRE is Optional, but not required for admission to this program. Scores may be submitted as supplementary documentation if desired.

A transcript from each post-secondary institution attended.

A written statement of objectives as part of your application.

Your resumé or CV.

Three (3) letters of recommendation

Applicants who are not native English speakers may need to take the TOEFL or IELTS (Academic) tests. For more information view the Graduate Division website.

International students that have been admitted are required to submit a copy of their Identification documents (i.e. Passport or Identification Card)

International applicants need to show proof of sufficient funding to cover all educational and living expenses

Apply Now
Application Deadlines
Starting Semester General Admission International Students Admission
Fall April 15 April 15
Spring N/A N/A
Summer N/A N/A

Apply Now
Tuition & Funding

Students enrolled in the RCE program will be assessed a tuition of $650 per credit (plus $5 fee per credit) regardless of their residence in a different state. Information on tuition and fees can be found under the UHM Outreach College website.

Financial support is available to qualified graduate students and may include scholarships awarded from the program’s Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA) long-term training grant. Only students who have been admitted to the Department of Kinesiology and Rehabilitation Science (Rehabilitation Counselor Education Program) are eligible to apply for a RSA Scholarship.

There are many resources available to help graduate students pay for college, including College of Education scholarships. There are also several scholarships listed generally through the STAR website (please note that this is only accessible to students with a valid UH ID number – must be admitted as a student prior to looking for scholarships on this site) and the Financial Support section of the Graduate Division website. For more information on financial aid and additional resources, please visit the UH Manoa Financial Aid Office (

Delivery Format

The RCEP (MS) is cohort-based, with students admitted only in the fall semester. Students take courses together throughout the 3 years of the program. In this cohort model, students build community and support structures within the program.

The RCEP courses are offered fully online in both a synchronous format (students meet as a cohort 1x/week with instructor) and asynchronous format (students complete assignments independently with no regularly scheduled meeting time). Courses are scheduled within the standard UHM semester. Students are also required to take 3 clinical courses (one practicum and two internship) with fieldwork in their own communities.


The RCEP is a 48-credit graduate program.

Note: Full list of courses should be in the handbook

Advising & Faculty

Our faculty and staff will provide you with guidance and resources to support your success from beginning to end. You will receive a dedicated faculty advisor to partner with you on your journey.

Program Coordinator