Prior to applying to student teaching in the final semester of the program, teacher candidates are required to have satisfactorily completed all academic major coursework and general education core courses.
Students must submit a student teaching application form for student teaching and make an appointment for a graduation check with an academic advisor at OSAS. There is no student teaching during the summer session. The deadlines for student teaching are as follows:
|Spring Semester||September 15th|
|Fall Semester||February 15th|
|LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED|
Acceptance into student teaching is contingent on the following factors:
- Completion and acceptance of an application for student teaching.
- A grade of C or higher in all courses in the program that precede student teaching.
- A minimum GPA of 2.75 in professional education courses.
- A minimum GPA of 2.75* in the subject field for which licensure is being sought.
- Successful completion of the ITE 402 Field Practicum and a grade of C or better in the ITE 404 methods.
- The availability of a qualified mentor teacher who is willing to accept the student teacher.
*Several exceptions to the GPA requirement are allowed. Students majoring in mathematics or science need to maintain a 2.5 GPA in their subject field to qualify for student teaching. A student whose GPA is below, but close to, the 2.75 level may petition the Secondary Education Program Chair for permission to enroll in student teaching.