Poster Presentations (Day 1)
The Teaching Clinic: Meaningful Engagement Through Service-Learning
Teaching Clinics are designed as semester-long courses in which teachers in training collaborate with practicing teachers on pedagogical innovations in the teachers’ classrooms through design-based research (Bakker, 2018). They can be seen as instances of service learning in the domain of teacher education (Stoecker, 2016). TCs tackle the combined needs of students, such as the wish for more formal experiences directly in the school-context and obtaining well-transferable competences and knowledge, and teachers, who may want a more direct access to state-of-the-art knowledge and support in implementing pedagogical innovations. Specifically, we present one exemplary project that was conducted within the TC and showcase the reflections from students, teachers, and the course facilitator (Froehlich et al., 2021).
Bakker, A. (2018). Design research in education: A practical guide for early career researchers. Abingdon, UK: Routledge.
Stoecker, R. (2016). Liberating service learning and the rest of higher education civic engagement. Philadelphia, PA: Temple University Press.
Froehlich, D.E., Hobusch, U., Moeslinger, K., 2021. Research Methods in Teacher Education: Meaningful Engagement Through Service-Learning. Front. Educ. 6.
STEMS² Pillars: Aʻo
June 30th, 2021, 10:15am–11:15am HST
Location: Posters & Partners (Gather.Town)
Ulrich HobuschEcological Economics & RCE Vienna, Vienna University of Economics and Business
- Comparisons of Readability Level of Visual Representations Integrated into the US and Turkish Middle School Textbooks Used in the Biology Units
- Inquiry based learning: Using a place-based lens to investigate socio-scientific issues in Science Education
- A Self-Study on Implementing Place-Based Learning in a Culturally and Linguistically Diverse STEM Classroom
- Shifting to Place-based, Transdisciplinary Teaching and Learning in a Public School
- Self-Study: Systems and Relationships Through a STEMS^2 Lens
- A Lei from Waipao- An ʻĀina-Based Early Childhood Curriculum for Papahana Kuaola
- Learning Through the Layers of Kawainui: A Place Based Approach to Inquiry Website
- He aha ka mua, he aha ka hope
- Self-Study Hawaii Rich vs Long island Rich
- ʻO ke kahua ma mua, ma hope ku kūkulu