MEd, Curriculum Studies



Does the MEd Curriculum Studies lead to initial licensure?

The program does NOT lead to initial teacher licensure, but students may add-a-field in Ethnomathematics, Literacy Leader and Teacher Leader to an existing HTSB-teacher license.

Is it possible to pursue a Graduate Certificate and the Master of Education in Curriculum Studies?

Yes, any graduate certificate can be taken with any masters program. The Department has five graduate certificates, but is currently offering four graduate certificates in Ethnomathematics, Literacy, Sustainability & Resilience Education and Teacher Leadership that range from 15-18 credits. You may pursue both graduate certificate and MEd-CS degree if you fulfill the requirements for both.

Do the courses that I take in EDCS count in advancing in the Hawai‘i DOE salary schedule?

Students need to check with their Reclassification Department Officer to find out if any course that they take advances them in their schedule. For teachers already in the Hawai‘i DOE system, it depends on their field of expertise and their school assignment responsibilities. From the UH side, the course needs to be within a degree granting program, and the course content needs to be related to the teacher’s field of expertise. Applications must be filled out with the Hawai‘i DOE Reclassification Department.

Can I work during my study in the graduate program?

Yes. Classes are typically offered during the evening hours of 4:30 – 7pm or are offered online to accommodate working professionals. Some programs offer coursework during the summer when the K-12 school session is on summer break.

How can I get Financial Aid?

Please see Tuition and Funding for information on financial aid.  We encourage you to apply early so that you have time to complete paperwork to apply for grants, scholarships, and loans.