LTEC Master’s Degree, Campus-based
MEd, Learning Design & Technology
Typical Length 2 years
Delivery Campus Based
This nationally accredited program prepares students to design, develop and evaluate learning environments, programs and resources by integrating contemporary and emerging technologies and learning principles.
Students will explore areas such as online learning systems, educational games, social media, mobile applications, web design, and more emerging technologies within the context of designing effective, efficient, and engaging learning and teaching. The program places emphasis on applications of technology in educational settings rather than simple technical skills. Individuals from diverse backgrounds can immediately apply what they learn to their particular context.
Graduates of the program have found professional positions in formal educational settings, both public and private, at all levels: K through 12, postsecondary (community colleges and universities). Our graduates can also be found working in government, military, library, museums, research institutes, non-profit, business organizations such as health care, hospitality, where they design learning resources by integrating advanced technology such as e-learning, computer simulations and interactive games to enhance learning and job performance.
There is no single job title for learning design and educational technologists in organizations, but some examples include: Instructional Designer, Technology Coordinator, Training Consultant, Digital Media Specialist, Online instructor, eLearning Consultant, Museum Education Specialist and so on. (See Bureau of Labor Statistics for job outlook)
1. Submit the UH Manoa Graduate Division Application
- UHM Graduate Division Application
- Select the “Graduate Studies” application type.
- On Question #7, choose the “Learning Design and Technology – MEd” program as your Planned Course of Study.
- Application fee $100 (non-refundable)
- Graduated from a UHM recognized, accredited, four-year institution of higher education prior to beginning the LTEC MEd program
- Undergraduate Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Official Transcripts from each post-secondary institution attended (except for UH system transcripts)
- GRE General Scores are not required for MEd admissions
- Residency Declaration Form (Hawaii residents only)
- International Students Only:
2. Submit to LTEC Department
(Please submit the following documents through Mākālei)
|Starting Semester||General Admission||International Students Admission|
|Fall||February 1 (Rolling Admissions)||January 1 (Rolling Admissions)|
The LTEC MEd is cohort-based, with students only admitted in the fall term each year as part of a group that takes initial classes together. In a cohort model, students enroll in a series of core courses, beginning and ending the series together. Such an approach helps build community and support structures within the program. Students work with like-minded professionals to achieve a common goal.
LTEC core courses are offered on campus, including a weekend sessions at the Manoa campus in the first semester. The weekend session is an orientation scheduled as part of a two-day, on-campus retreat usually beginning on the Saturday of the weekend proceeding the first day of instruction in August. Elective courses can be taking on campus or fully online depending on the students’ interests and schedules. Courses are scheduled within the standard UHM semester.
The M.Ed. in Learning Design and Technology is a 33-credit graduate program of six required core courses and a minimum of five elective courses. Core courses are taken in sequence. All students follow the same sequence in their first year. Courses for the second year depends on whether students are attending full-time, with those on a part-time basis typically completing core requirements in year 3.
- The six core courses in the campus-based program are offered at the Manoa campus on Tuesday and Thursday evenings to accommodate adult learners, typically from 5:00-7:30 PM HST on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- LTEC 600 Theory and Practice in Educational Technology
- LTEC 602 Innovations in Educational Technology
- LTEC 611 Ed Tech Research & Evaluation
- LTEC 613 Instructional Design and Development
- LTEC 687 Instructional Design & Technology Practicum
- LTEC 690 Seminar in Technology Leadership
- LTEC 600 Theory and Practice in Educational Technology
- Electives may be taken on campus or online and in any semester, including summer, and are selected from LTEC 400-level and 600-level courses. At least three electives must be graduate level and taken after admission to the program. Students will develop a plan for electives with their program coordinator based on individual interests and goals.
Plan B option which is most commonly selected includes the following:
- a design or research project selected by the student and approved by an advisor; and
- a conference presentation showcasing the project
Students have the option of completing a Master’s thesis under Plan A.
For a full listing of courses, see UH Manoa Catalog.
The tuition rates are generally around $663 per credit for residents and $1558 per credit for non-residents. Students enrolled in an online program will only be assessed for resident tuition regardless of their residence in a different state or country. Please see the “Graduate General & Post-Baccalaureate Unclassified” heading on the Office of the Registrar’s website for more accurate tuition rates.
See the following sites for funding information:
- UH Manoa General Scholarship List
- Financial Support section of the Graduate Division website
- STAR website (please note that this is only accessible to students with a valid UH ID number – must be admitted as a student prior to looking for scholarships on this site)
- UH Manoa Financial Aid Office (email@example.com).
Faculty & Virtual Tours
Our faculty and staff will provide you with guidance and resources to support your success from beginning to end. You will receive a dedicated faculty advisor to partner with you on your journey.
LTEC provides virtual tours to prospective students, see our virtual tour schedule.