The MEd-CS National Board Certification Teacher Leader track is a unique 30-credit track through which teachers may potentially: 1) earn a master’s degree (Teacher Leader focus), 2) pursue National Board Certification (Initial certification or renewal), 3) earn a Teacher Leader Graduate certificate, and 4) add-a-field of Teacher Leader to a Hawaii Teaching License. The Teacher Leader focus of the program is intended to prepare teachers to assume educational leadership roles in various school and community contexts based on the Teacher Leader Model Standards. The program will also support teachers in developing National Board Certification (NBC) portfolios and through the NBC application/renewal process. Students who choose not to formally apply for NBC will develop mock-NBC portfolios. Courses are offered via a combination of on-line, face-to-face, and hybrid formats.
12-core credits plus at least 18-credits chosen from the following list (subject to change), or other courses selected in consultation with the program advisor.
Required Core Courses:
- EDCS 622G: Curriculum Leadership (3)
- EDCS 606: Introduction to Research (3)
- EDCS 632: Qualitative Research Methods (3)
- EDCS 667G: Seminar in Curriculum Issues (3)
Required Specialization Courses:
- EDCS 607: New Literacies Leadership (3)
- EDCS/EDEF 630: Cultural Diversity and Education (3)
- EDCS 640M: Indigenous & Postcolonial Perspectives in Education (3)
- EDCS 640M: Seminar, National Board Certification Specialization (3)
- EDCS 695: Plan B Master’s Project (3)
- EDEF/EDEA 675: Introduction to Educational Policy Studies (3) or
EDEF 667C: Leadership and Governance in Education (3)