The COE Center on Disability Studies (CDS) grant program, Nā Hokua, has partnered with Kahua Hoʻomau Ola at Leeward Community College (CC) for a one-year program at Leeward CC that encourages individuals to give college a try.
The Kahua Hoʻomau Ola program is looking to support individuals who:
- have no previous college experience or intent to enroll in college,
- are of Hawaiian ancestry,
- demonstrate that there are financial and other barriers to enrolling in college,
- demonstrate that they would not be able to attend college without the Kahua Hoʻomau Ola scholarship
As a student participant in Kahua Hoʻomau Ola, individuals will receive:
- 100% of tuition, fees & books (up to 12 credits per semester) for the first academic year (Fall 2022 – Spring 2023) at Leeward CC
- Financial Aid, Scholarship and Financial literacy assistance
Support towards their Academics:
- Program activities that nurture resilience, achievement and wellness
- Support by peer mentors and Kīpuka Native Hawaiian Center at Puʻuloa (at Leeward CC) professionals
- Culture-based education activities
Career Education Opportunities:
- Career Exploration, practice & refinement of employability skills, and networking opportunities
Support and Resources Related to Personal Growth:
- Support for setting aspirational goals that are culturally compatible
- Develop confidence in post-secondary learning environments
- Expand personal networks with faculty and staff mentors and peer relationships
- Participate in activities and experiences which address well-being, resilience, and life planning
Kahua Hoʻomau Ola will admit more individuals into the program for the upcoming 2022-2023 academic year. If there is someone you think might be interested, please send a referral by completing the Referral Google Form (link/QR code below), or if you wish to mention the program to the individual, please encourage them to complete the Student Application Form (link/QR code below, also). Please feel free to forward this email/information on to your networks.
For more information, please contact Lesley Fukushima at firstname.lastname@example.org or (808) 455-0454.