We are so excited you’re interested in becoming a teacher! It first starts with preparation for teacher licensure.

What is Licensure?

illustration of steps for licensure

Getting your degree is essential, but you need to become licensed by the Hawaiʻi Teachers Standards Board (HTSB) to teach in a Hawaiʻi DOE school.

How can the College of Education (COE) support you in this process?

  1. Enroll in a State Approved Teacher Education Program (SATEP) and complete courses.

  2. As part of the program, complete your student teaching in an approved Pk-12 school setting!

  3. Once you graduate, the COE recommends you for licensure to HTSB.

  4. Apply for your teaching license from the HTSB and interview for your first teaching job!

Licenses you can prepare for at the COE

The COE offers one or more licensure programs to become a licensed teacher in the following fields:

  • Early Childhood (PK-K, or PK-3)
  • Elementary (K-6)
  • Secondary (6-12)*
  • Special Education (PK-3, K-6, or 6-12)
  • Health (K-6, 6-12, K-12)
  • Physical Education (K-6, 6-12, K-12)
  • Multilingual Learners (K-6, 6-12) (also referred to as ESL, MLL, or TESOL)
  • Hawaiian Language Immersion (K-6, K-12)

*Content Area Licensure Fields in Secondary:

  • English
  • English as a Second Language (ESL)
  • Fine Arts (Art, Dance, Music, or Theatre)
  • Mathematics
  • Music
  • Science
  • Social Studies
  • World Languages, including Hawaiian Language

Once you become a licensed teacher, you may take more coursework or complete an advanced degree to gain content skills or teach new types of students. Upon completion, you may apply to receive an “add-a-field” license through the Hawaiʻi Teachers Standards Board (HTSB). COE programs approved by HTSB for add-a-field licensure:

  1. Early Childhood
  2. Deaf/Hard of Hearing (Deaf/HH)*
  3. Ethnomathematics
  4. Literacy Specialist
  5. Multilingual Multicultural Professional Practice
  6. Special Education Add-a-Field
  7. Teacher Leader

*partnership with University of Northern Colorado

View all COE Add-a-field programs

How much do teachers get paid?

Salary is dependent on years of service and professional development credits. HIDOE salary info for teachers:

Why the College of Education?

Top reasons to choose a State Approved Teacher Education Program from UH Mānoa’s College of Education:

  1. Field-Based – Apply what you learn in courses each semester to the classroom setting. Observe and complete your student teaching in an approved school setting.
  2. Dedicated, experienced faculty – Faculty and mentor teachers will share their experiences in the classroom and guide you every step of the way. Meet our teacher education faculty.
  3. Nationally Ranked – Our programs are nationally accredited and nationally recognized!
  4. Stay Local – Many of our programs are available in a hybrid format, providing access and support to students living on all Hawaiian islands!

How do I find the teaching program that’s right for me?

Consider the following:

  • What age do you want to teach? e.g. Birth-PreK, PreK-3, Elementary (K-6), Middle (6-9), High school (6-12)
  • What subject area do you want to teach? (e.g. Special Education, Math, Science)
  • Do you need a bachelor’s degree?
  • Do you need a distance program?
  • Would you like to be prepared for multiple licenses or just one? (e.g., Elementary & Special Education)
  • Are you interested in teaching in Hawaiian Immersion schools?
  • Review COE’s teacher licensure program pages to research programs:


Got Questions? COE Advisors & Staff are here to help!

Our friendly academic advisors are standing by. You can set up your own advising meeting with options to meet using phone or teleconferencing at Office of Student Academic Services (OSAS) or email osas@hawaii.edu for other questions or concerns.