COE Faculty and Staff > Educational Foundations > Phan Le Ha
Phan Le Ha
- 2005 PhD Monash University, Australia
Area(s) of Interest
- Sociology of Knowledge and Education; Language, Society, and Education
- Language - Culture - Pedagogy - Identity; Higher Education (including policy, practice and pedagogy surrounding the internationalisation of education, international students, academic identity, intercultural issues); TESOL; and Writing
I am Phan Le Ha (also known/written as Phan Le-Ha, Ha Phan, Ha Le Phan, Le Ha Phan, and Le-Ha Phan), a Full Professor in the Department of Educational Foundations, College of Education, the University of Hawaii at Manoa. Prior to this appointment, I was with the Faculty of Education, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia. I have also held adjunct and honorary positions at universities in Australia, Vietnam, and the UK.
At the University of Hawaii at Manoa I am also the Special Assistant to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs in leading the University's engagement with Southeast Asia.
Series Co-Editor, New Perspectives in Language and Education, Multilingual Matters Publishing House, UK
Editor, Teaching Issues Section - TESOL Quarterly
Editorial Board Member: Journal of Language and Education; Inter-Asia Cultural Studies ; Journal of Vietnamese Studies; Journal of Language, Identity and Education; Transitions: Journal of Transient Migration
I have been doing much research on international higher education, academic mobility, identity-language-pedagogy-culture studies, globalization and internationalization of education and knowledge production, and TESOL in a variety of regions, with a particular focus on Australia, Southeast Asia, East Asia, and the Middle East. With my recent shift to Hawaii, I am developing projects to examine issues surrounding global and international engagement and new initiatives in education in North America and the Pacific region at all levels.
Founder of Engaging with Vietnam: http://www.engagingwithvietnam.net; www.engagingwithvietnam.org
One highlight of my work is the Engaging with Vietnam Initiative, which I have been developing since 2009. This Initiative has brought together scholars, researchers, policy makers, diplomatic officials and the general public to collaboratively and critically engage with knowledge production and scholarship building related to Vietnam and beyond. Annual scholarly conferences are a major part of the Initiative.
I have been advising many students' research projects on a wide range of topics related to my expertise.
My publication details can also be found at: http://monuni.academia.edu/LeHaPhan.
Mahalo and Aloha,
Phan Le Ha/Phan Le-Ha
- Phan, H. L. (2017). Transnational Education Crossing 'the West' and 'Asia': Adjusted Desire, Transformative Mediocrity, and Neo-colonial Disguise. London and New York: Routledge. Publication Details
- Chowdhury, R., & Phan, H. L. (2014). Desiring TESOL and international education: Market abuse and exploitation. UK, US, Canada: Multilingual Matters. Publication Details
- Phan, H. L., & Baurain, B. (2011). Voices, identities, negotiations, and conflicts: Writing academic English across cultures. UK: Emerald Press. Publication Details
- Baurain, B., & Phan, H. L. (2010). Multilevel mixed ability volume, classroom practice series. Washington, DC: TESOL. Publication Details
- Phan, H. L. (2008). Teaching English as an international language: Identity, resistance and negotiation. Clevedon, UK: Multilingual Matters. Publication Details
- Phan, H. L., & Bao, D. (2017). Silence as literacy: Second language learners in Australia.. In Nichols, S. & Snowden, C. (Ed.), Languages and Literacies as Mobile and Placed Resources, (pp. 170-184). London and New York: Routledge. Publication Details
- Phan, H. L. (2016). Global English, Postcolonialism, and Education. In Encyclopedia of Educational Philosophy and Theory, (pp. 1-6). Singapore: Springer Science+Business Media. Publication Details
- Phan, H. L. (2015). Unequal Englishes in Imagined Intercultural Interactions. In Tupas, R. (Ed.), Unequal Englishes: The Politics of Englishes Today, (pp. 223-243). Hampshire and New York: Palgrave Macmillan. Publication Details
- Phan, H. L., Dat, B., & Ha, V. H. (2014). Language policies in modern-day Vietnam: Changes and challenges. In Peter Sercombe and Ruanni Tupas (Ed.), Language, Identities and Education in Southeast Asia, (pp. 232-244). Hampshire and New York: Palgrave. Publication Details
- Phan, H. L., & Linh, L. T. (2013). Living the tensions: Moral dilemmas in English language teaching. In Terri Seddon, Jenny Ozga, & John Levin (Ed.), Routledge world yearbook of education 2013, (pp. 220-235). USA, UK, Canada: Routledge. Publication Details
- Huyen, L. T. T., & Phan, H. L. (2013). Problematizing the culture of learning English in Vietnam: Revisiting teacher identity. In Martin Cortazzi & Lixian Jin (Ed.), Researching cultures of learning, (pp. 248-264). New York: Palgrave Macmillan. Publication Details
- Bright, D., & Phan, H. L. (2012). 'White' native-English-speaking teachers of English in Vietnam: Negotiations of identity and the politics of English language teaching. In Lawrence Jun Zhang, Rani Rubdy, Lubna Alsagoff (Ed.), Asian Englishes: Changing perspectives in a globalised world, (pp. 121-140). Singapore, London, New York, Toronto, Sydney, Munich, Paris, Capetown, Hong Kong, Montreal: Pearson. Publication Details
- Phan, H. L. (2011). Fighting for the role of the nation state in knowledge mobilisation and educational research: An autoethnography of a mobile Vietnamese scholar. In Tara Fenwick, Lesley Farrell (Ed.), Knowledge mobilization and educational research, (pp. 100-112). London: Routledge. Publication Details
- Phan, H. L., Que, P. V., & McPherrron, P. (2011). English language teachers as moral guides in Vietnam and China: Maintaining and re-traditionalizing morality. In Janette Ryan (Ed.), Education reform in China: Changing concepts, contexts and practices, (pp. 132-157). London, New York: Routledge. Publication Details
- Phan, H. L. (2011). Problematising ESL/EFL writing: An introduction. In Le Ha Phan, Bradley Baurain (Ed.), Voices, identities, negotiations, and conflicts: Writing academic English across cultures, (pp. xi-xxi). UK: Emerald. Publication Details
- Phan, H. L. (2011). The writing and culture nexus: Writers' comparisons of Vietnamese and English academic writing. In Le Ha Phan, Bradley Baurain (Ed.), Voices, Identities, Negotiations, and Conflicts: Writing Academic English Across Cultures, (pp. 23-40). UK: Emerald. Publication Details
- Le, T. B., & Phan, H. L. (2009). Examining the foreignness of EFL global textbooks in the Vietnamese classroom: Issues and proposals. In Jayakaran Mukundan (Ed.), Readings on ELT materials III, (pp. 197-212). Malaysia: Pearson Longman. Publication Details
- Phan, H. L. (2016). English and identity: A reflection and implications for future research. Journal of Asian Pacific Communication, 26(2), 348-355. Publication Details
- Phan, H. L., & Barnawi, O. (2015). Where English, neoliberalism, desire and internationalization are alive and kicking: higher education in Saudi Arabia today. Language and Education, 2015, 1-23. Publication Details
- Phan, H. L. (2014). The politics of naming: Critiquing 'learner-centred' and 'teacher as facilitator' in English language and humanities classrooms. Asia-Pacific Journal of Teacher Education, 42, 1-14. Publication Details
- Phan, H. L., & Barnawi, O. (2014). From western TESOL classrooms to home practice: a case study with two ‘privileged’ Saudi teachers. Critical Studies in Education, 57, 1-18. Publication Details
- Phan, H. L. (2014). Review of "The World Bank and education: critiques and alternatives". Compare: A Journal of Comparative and International Education, 2014, 1-3. Publication Details
- Phan, H. L. (2013). Review of "Education in South-East Asia". Cambridge Journal of Education, 2013, 1-3. Publication Details
- Parr, G., Phan, H. L., Faine, M., & Seddon, T. (2013). Globalisation and its challenges for history teaching. Agora: History Teachers' Association of Victoria, Collingwood Victoria Australia, 48, 19-26. Publication Details
- Phan, H. L., Kho, J., & Chng, B. (2013). Nation building, English as an international language, medium of instruction, and language debate: Malaysia and possible ways forward. Journal of International Education and Comparative Education, 2, 58-71. Publication Details
- Phan, H. L. (2013). Issues surrounding English, the internationalisation of higher education and national cultural identity in Asia: A focus on Japan. Critical Studies in Education, 54, 160-175. Publication Details
- Phan, H. L., & Li, B. (2012). Silence as resistance, choice, right and strategy among Chinese me generation students: Implication for Pedagogy. Discourse: Studies in The Cultural Politics of Education, 35, 233-248. Publication Details
- Phan, H. L. (2009). English as an international language: International students and identity formation. Journal of Language and Intercultural Communication, 9, 201-214. Publication Details
- Phan, H. L. (2009). Strategic, passionate, but academic: Am I allowed in my writing?. Journal of English for Academic Purposes, 8, 134-146. Publication Details
- Chowdhury, R., & Phan, H. L. (2008). Reflecting on western TESOL training and communicative language teaching: Bangladeshi perspectives. Asia Pacific Journal of Education, 28, 305-316. Publication Details