The International and Special Programs (IASP) at UH Mānoa's College of Education (COE) Dean's Office supports international activities and initiatives for the entire College, striving towards creating a global experience for its students, faculty and staff, with a regional research and practice focus on Oceania and the Asia-Pacific.
The unit works collaboratively with academic departments and support units throughout the College in areas of international recruiting, advising and retention of students from anywhere in the world. We believe in fostering a global community of learners, educators, practitioners and researchers.
The unit also provides strategic and project management support for the College towards sustainable partnerships in higher education with institutions and visiting scholars whose vision and mission are in alignment with our own, so as to take advantage of our unique location and role in the Pacific and in the greater global community.
UPCOMING EVENTS AND DEADLINES
- CONFERENCE ABSTRACT DEADLINE - August 23, 2019 (early-bird): 5th IAFOR International Conference on Education - Hawai‘i. Click here for more info.
Retired COE professor Dr. Jim Skouge published a video tribute for Dr. Joakim "Jojo" Peter, an alum of the College (PhD, Department of Special Education) who recently passed away on April 8, 2019. Dr. Peter was a tireless advocate for helping the Micronesian community in Hawai‘i and beyond, co-founding and working through numerous organizations including We Are Oceania, COFA-CAN, COFA-CLAN and Pacific Resources for Education and Learning (PREL). He wrote his dissertation on the experience of Chuukeese families seeking healthcare in Hawai‘i for their disabled children.
Dr. Peter and Dr. Skouge also recently co-wrote Dr. Peter's autobiography: Coconut Ratz & Kung Fu Cowboys: Tales of a Pacific Islander's Childhood
Learn more about how COE engages globally
- International Students: Information for prospective international students
- Study-Away Opportunities: Global academic experiences through courses and programs for enrolled/registered students
- Institutional Partnerships: List of formal international agreements and partnerships
- Visiting Scholars Program: Hosted residencies for self-funding international visiting scholars
- Philosophy for Children (p4c) Hawai‘i: Collaboration with the Uehiro Academy for Philosophy and Ethics in Education