ALOHA and welcome to the International and Special Programs Unit
February 2017 - ITE and Bukkyo University students and faculty gather for a group photo after an afternoon of student presentations
The College of Education's (COE) International and Special Programs unit at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa develops and maintains sustainable international exchanges and partnerships in higher education with institutions from other parts of the world including the Asia Pacific and Europe. The unit is responsible for:
- Connecting and supporting the COE faculty, students and staff with opportunities in international programs within the field of education
- Establishing meaningful partnerships both through the establishment of MOUs and MOAs as well as tangible program coordination
- Hosting visiting scholars and international delegations interested in collaborating with the COE
COE’s ITE and KRS successfully complete a month of hosting study tours from Japan
The College welcomed four different study tour groups from mid-February to mid-March in Spring 2017, bringing a total of 35 students and 13 faculty and staff from 4 of our partner universities in Japan: Bukkyo University, Miyagi University of Education, Ritsumeikan University, and Sendai University. Read about them below.
Upcoming international events and opportunities at UHM-COE
- Japan-US Teacher Education Consortium (JUSTEC) 29th Annual Conference will be hosted at UHM-COE September 14-17, 2017 - submit proposal by April 5, 2017!
Other opportunities at UHM and beyond
- Teachers Across Borders Southern Africa (TABSA) - find out more at their program website and Facebook Page
- Faculty workshop in Okinawa: Identity, History and Culture, June 9-18, 2017 - application due on March 31, 2017
- Freeman-ASIA Awards for Undergraduate Study Abroad in East and Southeast Asia - application due April 4, 2017
- 8th International Conference on TESOL in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, August 10-11, 2017 - proposals due April 24, 2017
- Language immersion program: Indonesian Overseas Program (IOP) for students at all proficiency levels - application due on October 15, 2017 for Spring 2018 start
Study as an international student at our College
The College of Education (COE) at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa is located in the beautiful Mānoa valley on the island of Oʻahu. Ours is a complex and robust college providing educational research, policy studies, curriculum development, professional development, and educational services as well as teacher and educational leader preparation programs. The college has eight academic departments and two major research units—the Center on Disability Studies (CDS) and the Curriculum Research & Development Group (CRDG). We welcome international students and scholars to consider our diverse offerings of degree and certificate programs.