ALOHA and welcome to the International and Special Programs Unit
The College of Education's (COE) International and Special Programs unit at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa develops and maintains sustainable international exchanges and partnerships in higher education with institutions from other parts of the world including the Asia Pacific and Europe.
UPCOMING DEADLINES - Crown Prince Akihito Scholarships
- November 3, 2017 for American students: For study in Japan while pursuing your graduate degree at UH Mānoa
- November 24, 2017 for Japanese students: For study at UH Mānoa while pursuing your graduate degree in Japan
UPCOMING DEADLINES IF YOU'RE CONSIDERING FUNDING THROUGH THE EAST-WEST CENTER
- East-West Center Graduate Degree Fellowship - deadline December 1, 2017
- Citizens or permanent residents of the United States and citizens of countries in the Pacific and Asia, including Russia.
- Obuchi Student Scholarship - deadline December 1, 2017
- Residents of Okinawa, Japan
- U.S. - South Pacific Scholarship Program - deadline February 1, 2018
- Citizens of the following countries: Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, Nauru, Niue, Papua New Guina, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu and Vanuatu
Study as an international student at our College
The college has eight academic departments and two major research units—the Center on Disability Studies (CDS) and the Curriculum Research & Development Group (CRDG).
DEGREE AND CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS: We welcome international students and scholars to consider our diverse offerings of degree and certificate programs. Several of our programs in particular have an international education focus and/or seeking excellent international student applicants.
- MEd in Educational Foundations: Global Perspectives on Educational Policy and Practice
- PhD in Education: Educational Foundations' Global and International Education
STUDY EXCHANGE PROGRAMS: If you're looking for something short-term, check out opportunities through the Mānoa International Exchange Office Inbound Programs.
A student at COE and looking for study abroad opportunies? Watch this space for updates!
Programs offered through the UH Mānoa Study Abroad Center
Programs offered through the Mānoa International Exchange Office - Outbound.
Funding opportunities for international exchange, research and study
Please click on the below links for some basic information on funding opportunities for international study and exchange (the lists are by no means inclusive) :
- Scholarship/grant/financial aid opportunities for students (compiled by IASP)
- Grant opportunities for faculty exchange and projects (compiled by IASP)
- Various funded opportunities for faculty, staff and students through programs offered by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs - for U.S. citizens as well as non-U.S. citizens.
The College of Education at UH Mānoa, as a member of the Japan-US Teacher Education Consortium (JUSTEC), hosted the 29th Annual JUSTEC conference recently from September 14 to 17, 2017. The conference focused on professional development as a theme, and began with an optional school visit to three p4cHI (Philosophy for Children - Hawai‘i) schools, made possible through the College's working relationship with the Uehiro Academy for Philosophy and Ethics in Education, home of p4cHI. The conference then officially opened on September 15, with a keynote by Dr. Tom Jackson, fondly known as "Dr. J", Director of the academy, followed by two and half days of exciting knowledge-sharing and connections.
- Come check out the COE table at the Campus Center on November 15, 2017 during Mānoa International Education Week (November 13-18)
Other opportunities at UHM and beyond
- Pacific and Asian Affairs Council (PAAC) Teacher Programs
- Pacific and Asian Affairs Council (PAAC) International Visitor Leadership Program
- East-West Center's AsiaPacificEd Program for Schools
- Asia-Pacific Higher Education Research Partnership (APHERP)
- Teachers Across Borders Southern Africa (TABSA) - find out more at their program website and Facebook Page